This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9531 / 51°57'11"N
Longitude: -1.3373 / 1°20'14"W
OS Eastings: 445638
OS Northings: 228502
OS Grid: SP456285
Mapcode National: GBR 7V5.JQM
Mapcode Global: VHCWT.R5WK
Entry Name: Home Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046305
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243979
Location: Duns Tew, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25
Civil Parish: Duns Tew
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Duns Tew
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP4528 DUNS TEW
9/252 Home Farmhouse
Farmhouse, formerly manor house. 1694 (or 1624) on datestone and early C18.
Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and some wooden lintels;
artificial stone-slate roof with stone-and-brick gable stacks. 3-unit plan in 2
builds. 2 storeys plus attic. Irregular front (now facing garden) has a
chamfered stone doorway in bay 2, with a label below which is inscribed
"RB/16(?)4"; above it are 2 moulded stone stair windows, and in bay one are
3-light stone-mullioned windows with labels to ground and first floors, plus a
casement to the semi-basement. Between the first-floor windows is a 3-row
dovecote. Right half of front has a second doorway flanked by 3-light casements,
and at first floor is a 2-light casement; all have wooden lintels. Steep-pitched
roof has marlstone gable parapets with projecting moulded kneelers. Left gable
wall is partly banded with marlstone, and has a 2-light stone-mullioned window
in the gable. Regular rear has 2 bays of stone-mullioned windows, including a
cellar window, and 2 bays of casements plus the present main entrance. Interior
not inspected but noted as having an open fireplace inscribed with the date
1650, and stop-chamfered beams. Formerly the manor house of the Raves family.
Datestone noted as commemorating Raves Burrows.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p213)
Listing NGR: SP4563828502
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings