History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Littlemore, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7211 / 51°43'15"N

Longitude: -1.2232 / 1°13'23"W

OS Eastings: 453755

OS Northings: 202770

OS Grid: SP537027

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZK.3JQ

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.RZ6Z

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246496

Location: Littlemore, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Civil Parish: Littlemore

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Littlemore

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Headington

Listing Text

SP 5302 LITTLEMORE COWLEY ROAD
(East side)
15/99 Church of SS. Mary and
18/07/63 Nicholas.
GV II*

Church. 1836, tower and chancel 1848. By H.J. Underwood for Rev. (later
Cardinal) J.H. Newman, extended by Joseph Clarke. Coursed limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings; steep-pitched tiled roof. 4-bay aisleless nave, and
chancel with tower and vestry to north. Early English style. Nave has lancets
flanked by buttresses and, to west, a double lancet with plate-tracery. The
west door has detached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Triple lancet
east window with dogtooth ornament and shafts. The 3-stage tower has 2-light
shafted openings with plate tracery (in the top stage ) flanked by quatrefoil
openings. Interior: Chancel roof of 4-bays has 5-sided coupled rafters and
arched braces rising from wooden angel corbels with elaborate bosses. Nave roof
(not original) has 7-boarded trefoil trusses. The stone altar stands against
richly-decorated and gilded arcading with a triple sedilia to south. The lancet
to north has an elaborate double-shafted rear arch with trefoil head and
dogtooth ornament. The richly-carved oak screen of 1913 in C15 style is by
F.H. Crossley and has rood figures from Oberammergau. Elaborate 4-tiered oak
font cover of 1924 stands on a C13 font with pointed trefoil arcading
divided by fleur-de-lys brought from Church of St. Mary, Oxford. Mid C19 glass
in 8 lancets is by T. Willement, and 2 others (the eastermost in the nave) have
figures, of c.1887 by Morris and Co. East window of c.1900 by Louis Davis, and
the central pair in the nave north wall also c.1900 by Shrigley and Hunt of
Lancaster. Wall monument of c.1836 to Newmans' mother, with shallow relief, by
R. Westmacott Jnr.Graded II* for historical asaciation with JH Newman.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, pp.213; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire pp. 688-9)


Listing NGR: SP5375502770

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.