History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sustead, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.888 / 52°53'16"N

Longitude: 1.2672 / 1°16'2"E

OS Eastings: 619903

OS Northings: 337287

OS Grid: TG199372

Mapcode National: GBR VC3.WS3

Mapcode Global: WHMS8.FNPT

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223290

Location: Sustead, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Sustead

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Metton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Felbrigg

Listing Text

SUSTEAD CROMER ROAD
TG 13 NE
METTON
5/49 Church of St.Andrew
4.10.60
II*
Parish church. Medieval. Flint and some ironbound conglomerate with brick
and stone dressings. Slate and glazed black pantile roofs. Early C14 west
tower, nave, north porch and early C14 chancel. Unbuttressed embattled tower
of 3 stages. Archways, perhaps processional, through north and south faces,
each with one continuous chamfered order; brick to underside of arch. West
window of 2 lights with panel tracery; brick voussoirs; in larger opening now
blocked with brick. Y-tracery bell-openings with alternate brick and flint
voussoirs. Flushwork battlements; gargoyles. Buttressed nave of 2 bays;
perhaps with angle buttresses, those to east now removed. Doorway to west
has chamfer merging into arch with 2 rolls. South nave doorway with continuous
hollow-chamfer. 2 3-light square-headed windows with panel tracery, that to
east restored. One similar window to north. Unbuttressed chancel of 2 bays
with one Y-tracery window to south and one 3-light window with square head and
panel tracery; hood mould. No openings to north. East window of 3 lights with
intersecting tracery. C19 north porch to first nave bay. Continuously
chamfered nave doorway; outer order with chamfer merging into arch with wave.
Interior. Large pointed opening to tower above doorway. Roll-moulded wall
plate; corbels, those to north with figures. Roofs boarded in 1890. Ogee-
headed cusped piscina with leaves to finial and head to base. Font with
chamfered base and rounded bowl; support to rear. Brass to R. Doughty and wife
d.1493 with 0.5m high figures.


Listing NGR: TG1990737286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.