This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5892 / 52°35'21"N
Longitude: 1.3882 / 1°23'17"E
OS Eastings: 629603
OS Northings: 304433
OS Grid: TG296044
Mapcode National: GBR WJ8.PSK
Mapcode Global: WHMTW.959X
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227148
Location: Bramerton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bramerton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bramerton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
BRAMERTON THE STREET
TG 20 SE
House, formerly farmhouse. Various dates but mainly C17 with C18 and later
alterations. Brick with roofs of black glazed pantiles. East side of 2
storeys in 3 bays, each of which is set back from that to its right and each
have late C18 crenellated parapets. Northern bay is the return of original
house c.1650. English bond brickwork. One C19 2-light cross casement each
floor separated by platband. Hipped roof gabled back into gabled main roof.
Central bay is lower. Timber door behind Tuscan columns which support
dentiled pediment. Overlight. Moulded extensions to pediment extend to cover
narrow margin lights each side of door. Sash window to first floor with
glazing bars. Platband at first floor which continues into south bay. This
bay identical to north bay thus lending the facade an uneasy C18 symmetry.
These alterations are applied to an extension of original house of c.1660-70.
Behind the 2 hipped roofs is the gabled roof of the rear range with a ridge
stack set to the right. 3 further stacks emerge through roof slope at
intervals. All stacks are C19 rebuilds. Of the c.1650 house only one bay
of north front survives : platband continues and scars of 2 blocked windows
remain, one subsequently half obliterated by rising C19 stack. Beyond stack
the gable head of rear range emerges. Rear range (west front) of c.1670-80.
2 storeys and dormer attic in 5 bays of irregular disposition. Doorway right
of centre below open pediment. False fanlight above C20 glazed door. One
c.1900 gault brick single storey canted window bay to each side of doorway.
Fenestration is of sashes with glazing bars, mostly with rusticated surrounds
and pilaster strips which form rebated panels. Deep platband at first floor
with dentiles. Moulded eaves platband. 4 gabled dormers in roof fitted with
casements. Interior. Open well staircase c.1670-80 rises to attic storey.
Square newel posts with rebated panels and ball finials and drop pendants.
Moulded closed string. Fat turned balusters and moulded handrail.
Listing NGR: TG2960304433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings