This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.475 / 52°28'29"N
Longitude: 1.5496 / 1°32'58"E
OS Eastings: 641157
OS Northings: 292261
OS Grid: TM411922
Mapcode National: GBR XM5.W07
Mapcode Global: VHM6J.T220
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226834
Location: Gillingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR34
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Gillingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
GILLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD
TM 49 SW
8/57 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12 fabric much 'restored' and extended in 1858-9 to the design
of the architect Penrice of Lowestoft. Flint with limestone dressings; plain
tiled roofs, steeply pitched. Western annexe or narthex, nave with north
and south aisles, apsed chancel, central tower. West doorway C12: one order
of shafts with cushion capitals, simple roll moulded arch and hood mould with
billet decoration on renewed corbelstops. 2-light Perpendicular west window
above doorway. South wall has one round headed C12 lancet and a doorway with
pointed arched head with wave moulding and plain chamfered reveal. Square
central tower with engaged corner shafts and round headed sound openings
with chevron decoration on north and south. Twin bell openings in each face
with central shaft and cushion capital all in large semicircular headed recess,
the arches decorated with roll, billet and bobbin moulds. Narrow blind arched
opening on each side of bell opening. Billet moulded string course above;
later parapet on corbel table with head corbels. Small lean-to chambers
on north and south sides of tower lit by single semicircular headed window.
C19 north and south aisles in Romanesque style; the south aisle has a
tripartite west window and circular window in gable apex; pilaster buttresses
divide window bays. Polygonal chapel projection on east gable. Gabled bellcote
over parapet of nave east gable. C19 chancel apse with single light
semicircular headed windows. Stone modillion eaves cornice around east end.
Chimney stack in angle between chancel and north aisle, stone chimney with
engaged shafts. North aisle as south, but with one-light semicircular headed
east and west window. C12 north doorway to narthex: one order of shafts with
restored volute capitals, zigzag arch and billet hood mould. Interior: narthex
has simple braced rafter roof, much repaired; moulded cornice, wallposts with
angel bases. Base of tower well preserved: four plain semicircular arches
on plain imposts, corbelled out slightly on south-east and south-west piers.
Deeply splayed reveals to north and south windows. Nave roof of braced
rafters and arch braced principals; wallposts with angels at bases. Cornice
with two tiers of castellations. C19 Romanesque arcades of three bays: massive
piers and responds with zigzag and spiral decoration. C19 north and south
aisles. Roll moulded semicircular chancel arch. Apse has two bays of blank
arcading below each window. Plastered ceiling to apse with ribs on shafts.
Chancel floor paved with C18 slabs to Bacon and Schutz families. Brass to
John Everard (d.1553) C19 font-square bowl on spiral moulded round stem.
Two panels of C15 screen preserved on north wall of narthex: traceried with
much original colour and lettering. Good wall monument to Nicholas Bacon
(d.1666) - cartouche framed by Corinthian columns and entablature with arms,
all on console brackets.
Listing NGR: TM4115792261
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings