History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Gervase and Protase

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great and Little Plumstead, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6464 / 52°38'46"N

Longitude: 1.4094 / 1°24'33"E

OS Eastings: 630741

OS Northings: 310859

OS Grid: TG307108

Mapcode National: GBR WHQ.34T

Mapcode Global: WHMTH.MRC3

Entry Name: Church of St Gervase and Protase

Listing Date: 25 September 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1051528

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228482

Location: Great and Little Plumstead, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Great and Little Plumstead

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Plumstead St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Little Plumstead

Listing Text

TG 31 SW GREAT & LITTLE PLUMSTEAD HOSPITAL ROAD

(Little Plumstead)
4/34
Church of St. Gervase
25/9/62
and Protase, Little
Plumstead.

II*

Parish Church, medieval and later. Flint with brick and stone dressings and
plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. 2 stage round
tower belonging to the Saxo-Norman overlap. The top stage narrower and
probably later. Circular squint on western segment with single lancet above.
C19 single light belfry openings and battlemented parapet. Nave 3 bays with
2 Perpendicular 3 light windows each side of nave, with blocked C13 arch on
north to west, and semi-circular arched opening with billet moulding, and
C18 raised and fielded 6 panel door to south. Late medieval brick porch with
double chamfered entrance and 2 light windows to east and west. Single bay
chancel with C18 brickwork on north side and 3 light C19 Perpendicular windows
to south and east. Interior mainly C19. Relocated military brass for Sir
Edward Warner, died 1565. Monument to Thomas Pentice and Mrs Pentice, died
1829 by W. Hardy. Glass fragments of various dates and sources in the south
chancel window.


Listing NGR: TG3074110859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.