History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dolphin Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigginton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.997 / 51°59'49"N

Longitude: -1.4351 / 1°26'6"W

OS Eastings: 438882

OS Northings: 233325

OS Grid: SP388333

Mapcode National: GBR 6S4.Q10

Mapcode Global: VHBZ4.22PD

Entry Name: The Dolphin Inn

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 9 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052172

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361472

Location: Wigginton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Wigginton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigginton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

WIGGINTON CHAPEL STREET
SP3833
(West side)
11/110 The Dolphin Inn
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Dolphin
Public House)
GV II
Inn, now house. Datestone M/IE/1727. Ashlar ironstone to front, regular
coursed ironstone rubble to sides and rear; stone slate roof to front, Welsh
slate roof to rear. 2 brick end stacks. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys; 6 windows
to first floor, one blocked. Off-centre door to right is 4-panelled with
distinctive canopy. 3 windows to left, 2 windows to right. All are wooden
mullioned and transomed windows with keystoned flat arches. 4-light stone
mullioned window to cellar on left. Windows noted as having elaborate wrought
iron casement fasteners. Flat band to first floor. Stone copings. Rear:
Stone sundial to right end. Interior: Noted as having plan of kitchen, hall
and parlour; spacious cellars with stone barrel vault. History: The Dolphin
was built as a farmhouse by James Eden, the principal farmer in the parish in
the 1720s. Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p.160; Wood-Jones, R.B., Traditional Domestic
Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963, pp,187-8).


Listing NGR: SP3888233325

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.