This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7963 / 51°47'46"N
Longitude: -0.1253 / 0°7'31"W
OS Eastings: 529378
OS Northings: 212512
OS Grid: TL293125
Mapcode National: GBR J9B.C56
Mapcode Global: VHGPM.S34S
Entry Name: Riverside Cottage
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054065
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356175
Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG14
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hertingfordbury
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hertford St Andrew with St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 21 SE
5/69 Riverside Cottage
Fishing or gamekeeper's cottage to Panshanger Estate. 1755-63 probably
as part of Capability Brown's work for the 2nd Earl Cowper when the
house was at Cole Green Park. Altered, raised and extended in early C19
following Humphry Repton's landscaping of the Mimram valley for the 5th
Earl Cowper in 1799-1801 when the house was moved N and renamed
Panshanger. English bond red brick with later Flemish bond stock brick.
Slate roof. A small octagon with 2 longer sides to which there are
lean-to outshuts, only one of which is original. Originally 1 storey now
2. All doors and windows blocked at time of inspection. Gabled entrance
porch to S facing river, moulded door surround. Canted elevations
flanking porch have ground floor openings with timber sills, cambered
heads. First floor central opening in stock brick below a weatherboarded
gable. Deep boxed eaves. Central cross axial ridge stack. Roof hipped
out over lean-tos. Stack to right. Similar openings on returns. To rear
as at opposite end with a central recessed entrance. Additional entrance
to left in early lean-to. Interior not inspected. (L. Stone in Studies
for Sir John Summerson, The County Seat, ed. Colvin/Harris. 1970:
J. Brushe, Architectural History, vol.24, 1981: Pevsner 1977: Country
Life 11 and 18/1/1936).
Listing NGR: TL2937812512
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings