History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Abbas and Templecombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9975 / 50°59'51"N

Longitude: -2.4158 / 2°24'56"W

OS Eastings: 370919

OS Northings: 122094

OS Grid: ST709220

Mapcode National: GBR MZ.KFRD

Mapcode Global: FRA 56TG.YGX

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Last Amended: 15 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056356

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261743

Location: Abbas and Templecombe, South Somerset, Somerset, BA8

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Abbas and Templecombe

Built-Up Area: Templecombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Temple Combe

Listing Text

ST7022 ABBAS AND TEMPLECOMBE CP HIGH STREET (East side)
TEMPLECOMBE

9/8 Manor House
(Formerly known as Manor Farm
House)

24.3.61

II*

House. C17 and later on medieval site. Local stone coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; shallow pitch hipped Welsh
slate roof; brick chinney stacks. 'L'-plant 2 storeys, 4 bays to West facade, irregular fenestration. Ovolo mould
mullioned window to upper bays 2,3 and 4, and below to bay 4 and between bays 2 and 3; that to lower bay 4 has hood
mould; reserved chamfer mullioned windows of 2-lights to bay 1: between bays 3 and 4 a studded boarded door in heavy
frame, with C20 stone porch under flat moulded hood. Projecting stair turret on East side, with plain doorway and
various ovolo mould mullioned windows. Short return Southwards to match, then a long non-domestic wing which may
incorporate medieval fragments, although windows are mostly modern; one ovolo mould window and a moulded door surround
may be reused. Interior not seen, but a comprehensive report speaks of traces of a spiral staircase in the North West
corner of the main house; a fairly rare reserve chamfer moulded fireplace (possibly reset) in the South West corner,
with 4-centre arched stone lintol; rear staircase may be C17, sundry beans with various mouldings and a variety of
doors and door frames; and to the rear extension probably C17 collar roof trusses. Site held as a preceptory by the
Knights Templars until 1300, from then until 1540 it was owned by the Knights Hospitallers; after that various lay
owners modified it, especially Charles Brooke before he died in 1610. The remains of a chapel of c1200 survived until
c1980 just East of the return wing (VAG Report, SRO unpublished, July 1983; D.M. Clarke-Irons, A Short Record of Abbas
and Templecombe, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST7091922094

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.