This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.135 / 51°8'5"N
Longitude: -2.5773 / 2°34'38"W
OS Eastings: 359705
OS Northings: 137458
OS Grid: ST597374
Mapcode National: GBR MR.8WBB
Mapcode Global: VH8B6.8QVS
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 2 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058488
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268364
Location: East Pennard, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: East Pennard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
EAST PENNARD CP
EAST PENNARD VILLAGE
15/154 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C14, C15, some C18 alteration, restored C19. coursed and squared rubble, slate and lead
sheeting roofs, freestone dressings. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch to nave, and small south porch
to chancel, west tower. Perpendicular. Plain unbuttressed tower with plain parapet, low and of 3 stages, single 2-light
bell-chamber windows with stone grilles, 2-light windows on the ringing-chamber stage; narrow west window with the
tracery removed and leaded-lights inserted, C17/C18 doorway inserted below, studded door; clock. Nave with clerestory,
parapet and coping, lead rainwater goods, 2-light square-headed windows. Four bay south aisle, buttresses, pointed-arch
heads to 3-light windows; parapet with coping. Small 2-storeyed unbuttressed south porch, parapet with coping, plain
outer door opening, inside flagstone floor, stoup, moulded inner doorway, ribbed and studded doors, C18 wall monument.
Four bay north aisle, buttresses, pointed arch heads to 3-light windows, 2-light windows at east and west ends; north
doorway; parapet with coping. Two bay chancel, buttresses, 2-light pointed-iron windows, 4-light east window; priest's
door to south with an odd little ashlar porch, probably C18, 4-centred arch outer door opening. Interior plastered on
flagstone floors, encaustic tile pavement to chancel. Good medieval tie-beam roof to nave on fine carved corbels, some
painted decoration over the rood with figures of angels. Lean-to roofs to aisles with bosses. Good C19 arch-braced roof
to chancel. Aisles with 4-bay arcades, piers of 4-hollows section. Outstanding C12 font, tub with blank arcading
supported on carved figures of big monsters. North aisle with niche with surround, cusping in a Decorated style. Two
piscinae. Upper and lower entrances to the rood, stair. Good early C18 pulpit with rich carving. Some C18 box pews, C19
pews in conforming style. C18 panelling to chancel. Branch dated 1718. Mid C19 altar rails, tile and mosaic reredos;
rood screen dated 1889. Late Cl9 west organ gallery incorporating some carved panels of late medieval work including a
pelican with the Crown of Thorns. Five C18 wall monuments, including 2 by King of Bath of good composition. Four
early/mid C19 wall monuments. Three C18 slabs to floor. West window with many fragments of C15 glass; 6 mid/late C19
stained glass windows; remainder of openings with plain diamond-paned leaded light. Reused Jacobean work in choir
stalls; 2 Cl8 busts of cherubs. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958; Photographs in NMR;
Illustration John Buckler, l833 and W.W. Wheatley, 1845).
Listing NGR: ST5970337458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings