This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1867 / 51°11'12"N
Longitude: -3.0886 / 3°5'19"W
OS Eastings: 324013
OS Northings: 143620
OS Grid: ST240436
Mapcode National: GBR M1.5KBJ
Mapcode Global: VH7D8.FF0L
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 24 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268933
Location: Stockland Bristol, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Stockland Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST24SW STOCKLAND BRISTOL CP
STOCKLAND BRISTOL VILLAGE
3/83 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Parish church. 1865 from documents; on the site of an earlier parish church; for Daniel family of Stockland Manor (qv);
by Arthur of Plymouth. Coursed and squared blue lias rubble, Bath Stone dressings, tile roofs with bracketted eaves,
copings with cruciform finials. Decorated style with much buttressing; nave with a north aisle and South porch, West
tower, chancel with a heated north vestry and a South chapel. Three stage tower, diagonal buttresses to first and
second stages, parapet pierced with quatrefoils, stair turret, 2-light bell chamber openings with louvresi 3-light West
window, West door, carved heads stops. Three bay nave, 2-light windows; single bay chancel, 2-light window and a
lancet, 3-light West window; 3-light South window to short South chapel. Plain interior, plastered walls, tile floors
wagon roofs to nave and chancel, that to nave unceiled; scissor braced roof to north aisle. Arcade on octagonal piers.
Both the octagonal font and the chancel screen are C15, reused from the earlier church; the latter restored and
installed by F Bligh Bond c1920 as a memorial to the fallen of the Great War. Remainder of fittings of 1865; notable
the stone pulpit with 10 detached Purbeck shafts, similarly the reredos. Much C19 stained glass, that to chancel by
Clayton and Bell. Two resited C17 tablets to South chapel, 2 C19 tablets. Bells of 1865. Well balanced and precise copy
of a Decorated building. Thomas Daniel was the rector. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset,
Listing NGR: ST2401343620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings