History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Edington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1541 / 51°9'14"N

Longitude: -2.8777 / 2°52'39"W

OS Eastings: 338709

OS Northings: 139797

OS Grid: ST387397

Mapcode National: GBR MB.7JS1

Mapcode Global: VH7DL.28J2

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 24 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060135

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269489

Location: Edington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Edington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Polden Wheel

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Edington

Listing Text

EDINGTON CP CHURCH ROAD (North side)
ST33NE
9/48 Church of St George

-
- II

Anglican parish church. On a medieval site, completely rebuilt 1879 by Down and
Son. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, C20 concrete tile roof,
coped verges, cruciform finials, gabled ashlar bellcote to west. Nave chancel,
south porch, north vestry. Neo-Perpendicular. Four bay nave, 2-light
square-headed windows, each light with cusping, labels with large floral stops,
3-light west window. Gabled porch, 4-centred head door opening, benched
interior on tile floor, inner door with good hinges. Two bay chancel in
conforming style, 3-light west-window, priests door to south, door with good
hinges. Lofty plastered interior on tile and encaustic tile floors. Nave with
scissor-rafter roof on corbels; chancel with unceiled wagon roof. Moulded and
shafted chancel arch. Coeval pews, pulpit, lectern, choir stalls, brass
candelabrae, altar rail and small organ. C19 reredos which appears to include
Jacobean remains; Jacobean chest. Good Norman font, bowl with 2 large scallops
to each face, corner spurs and 2 cable mouldings; good late C19 cover. Five C19
wall monuments. Four late C19 stained glass windows. (Pevsner, Buildings of
England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Faculty and architect plans deposited SR0).


Listing NGR: ST3870939797

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.