History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Maidenwell, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2872 / 53°17'13"N

Longitude: -0.0226 / 0°1'21"W

OS Eastings: 531912

OS Northings: 378510

OS Grid: TF319785

Mapcode National: GBR XZ8F.WC

Mapcode Global: WHHK5.MMFV

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195910

Location: Maidenwell, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Maidenwell

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Ruckland with Farforth, Maidenwell and Oxcombe S Olave

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Belchford

Listing Text

MAIDENWELL FARFORTH LANE
TF 37 NW (east side)

7/26 Church of St.Peter
9.3.67

II

Parish church. 1861, re-using some medieval fragments. Green
sandstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate with stone
coped gables and finials and gabled west bellcote with pointed
opening containing bell, hood mould and label stops. Nave with
bellcote and small porch, chancel. Plinth runs round entire
church. West front with 2 stage diagonal buttresses, a pair of
lancets with small vesica above, all with hood moulds and,label
stops. North side of nave with 2 pairs of lancets alternating
with 2 stage buttresses, the windows with hood moulds and label
stops. North side of chancel plain. East end with triple
lancets, that in the centre being taller, with hood mould and
label stops. South side of chancel with 2 lancets; south side
of nave with 2 pairs of lancets, all with hood moulds and label
stops. Slightly projecting gabled porch to west with pointed
doorway with continuous chamfered surround and double plank
doors. Late C13 chancel arch inside with pointed double
chamfered head, the semi-circular moulded capitals of 3 large
responds on each side, but with 3 much smaller shafts, also of
medieval origins, inserted beneath. East window with re-used C13
nook shafts, hood moulds and label stops. C15 plain octagonal
font with simply cusped panelled pediment. C19 altar rail, pews,
lectern and roofs. Ashlar monument re-set in south wall to
George Dunham, died 1725, with simple bands around border with
daisy head, lily and thistle motifs. Gravestone in nave to Mary
Mosely, died 1742. 2 long framed pieces of embroidery depicting
the 119th Psalm.


Listing NGR: TF3191278510

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.