History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Willoughton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4285 / 53°25'42"N

Longitude: -0.5992 / 0°35'57"W

OS Eastings: 493169

OS Northings: 393327

OS Grid: SK931933

Mapcode National: GBR SX8S.2P

Mapcode Global: WHGH5.R2VY

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064176

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196752

Location: Willoughton, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Willoughton

Built-Up Area: Willoughton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Willoughton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Blyborough

Listing Text

SK 99 SW WILLOUGHTON CHURCH LANE
(North side)

2/61 Church of
St. Andrew
16.12.64
II

Parish church. Late C13, C15, 1794, late C19. Coursed limestone
rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge
tiles and stone coped gables. West tower, nave, rectangular
chancel with north vestry. C18 west tower of 2 stages with
plinth. Doorway with pointed head, broad chamfered jambs, hood
mould, label stops and plank doors. Plaque just below first
floor flat string course with "W. Bassett, Vicar I White Clerk W.
Child" inscribed. Large oculus above. Narrow round headed light
on north and south side at bell stage level. North side of nave
with 2 large, broad round headed windows. Late C19 north vestry
with large chimney to north west. 3 light mullion rectangular
window on north side with doorway to east with flat head,
chamfered surround and plank door. East end of chancel with
large, pointed late C19 window with 4 pointed and cusped lights
with tracery. South wall of chancel with single round headed
window. To west, remains of C15 rectangular window with 2
blocked barely pointed lights. South wall of nave with 2 large,
broad round headed lights. Late C13 chancel arch with polygonal
responds and triple chamfered pointed head with hood mould and
C19 label stop head to north and C13 label stop head to south.
C19 organ arch with flattened pointed arch with chamfered sides.
Doorway to vestry to east with shallow segmental head and plank
door. C17 altar rail. Large ornate ashlar monument to Nicholas
Sutton, died 1602, with inscription with coat of arms above. C20
pews, pulpit, lectern and font. Large metal horn above west
door.


Listing NGR: SK9316993327

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.