This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5114 / 51°30'41"N
Longitude: -0.0914 / 0°5'28"W
OS Eastings: 532545
OS Northings: 180890
OS Grid: TQ325808
Mapcode National: GBR RD.MC
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.C8KP
Entry Name: Tallow Chandlers Hall
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199428
Location: City of London, London, EC4R
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Dowgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St James Garlickhythe
Church of England Diocese: London
DOWGATE HILL EC4
No 4 (Tallow
TQ 3280 NE 16/419 4.1.50.
1671 to 72. Courtyard building at rear of Nos 3 to 7 approached by passage between Nos 3 and 5. 3 storeys. Red brick with painted stone dressings and large, modillion cornice of timber. Ground storey arcaded with open cloister now only on west side, with kitchens behind it and hall above. Tympana of arches on this side filled with carved decoration. Central window of 5 above enriched, with circular clerestory openings. Staircase in north-east corner and parlour on 1st floor of north range with Court room above. Curtailed south range very shallow, also of 3 storeys. East side formed by matching but taller rear of Nos 3 to 7. Staircase reconstructed but retaining original, twisted balusters at top. Hall has good panelling with carved frieze to entablature below clerestory. Small, 3 sided oriel to west. Richly carved screen with engaged columns etc to staircase and elaborately carved niche with coat of arms etc at south end. Decorated pilasters to clerestory and small cove to enriched plaster ceiling, perhaps partly renewed. Parlour has fine original panelling, carved doorcases and chimney pieces and enriched ceiling. Court room plainer but retains original arrangement of seating etc. North side of building, to Cloak Lane, is featureless except for narrow, early C20 facade at west end. 3 storeys. 1 window. Mid C17 style in Portland stone. Doorway with richly carved hood on brackets. Enriched mullioned and transomed windows above with cornice to 1st floor and pediment to 2nd. Large modillion cornice continuing that to Skinners' Hall to west. Railing and gate to forecourt. Scheduled AM.
Listing NGR: TQ3254580890
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings