This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.594 / 53°35'38"N
Longitude: -2.2971 / 2°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 380433
OS Northings: 410863
OS Grid: SD804108
Mapcode National: GBR DVDW.HD
Mapcode Global: WH97Q.PXBN
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 10 November 1951
Last Amended: 13 July 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210680
Location: Bury, BL9
Electoral Ward/Division: East
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bury
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 8010 NW
Parish Church of St Mary
Church. Of medieval origin, but entirely rebuilt in the C19 with tower and spire of 1844-5 by E H Shellard, and the rest by J S Crowther, of 1871-6. Dressed stone with slate roofs. Apsidal chapel with vestry and organ chamber to north, and Lady Chapel to south; 4-bay nave and aisles; narthex, with pitched roof at right angles to that of nave, the south end of which forms the main entrance porch to the church; almost freestanding tower to west of narthex. The heavily buttressed 3-stage tower is surmounted by a broach spire with lucarnes. The heads of the 2-light windows in the apse, clerestory and aisles all have Geometrical tracery, and there are small rose windows with similar tracery in the gables at the west end of the nave and both ends of the narthex.
INTERIOR. Very lofty proportions. Exposed brick with stone dressings. Fine hammer and tie-beam roof carried by arcade with clustered columns. The chancel floor and aisles in the nave are adorned with brightly coloured mosaic, the sanctuary contains a late C19 painted and gilded reredos, and the apse is enriched with painted panels (1888). There is also much fine woodwork including the choir stalls, many intricately carved with small figures, complete set of benches, and tall architectural cover to stone font. The stained glass in the apse and in the Lady Chapel is by Hardman, while the cycle of windows in the nave is by Clayton and Bell. The tower contains a group of C19 wall plaques including an amusing one with a walrus and elephant commemorating Lieutenants Robert and George Hood (d 1821 and 1823).
This, the principal church of Bury, is a very fine example of Crowther's work, displaying his great skill in the design of timberwork and enthusiasm for mosaic floors, and it also has a wealth of other high quality fittings.
Listing NGR: SD8043310863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.