History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Atherton, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5239 / 53°31'26"N

Longitude: -2.4902 / 2°29'24"W

OS Eastings: 367595

OS Northings: 403138

OS Grid: SD675031

Mapcode National: GBR CW1P.NH

Mapcode Global: WH980.QPCC

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 15 July 1966

Last Amended: 27 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068475

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213476

Location: Wigan, M46

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Atherton

Built-Up Area: Atherton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Atherton and Hindsford

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Astley

Listing Text

ATHERTON MARKET STREET
SD 60 SE
(north side)
2/8 Church of St John the Baptist
(formerly listed as church of
15/7/66 St John Market Place)
G.V. II
Church. 1879. By Paley and Austin. Dressed stone, ashlar
dressings and clay tile roof. Nave, clerestory and aisles
with south-west tower; chancel flanked by side chapel and 2-
storey vestry. Gothic Revival in Decorated style. 5-bay
nave and 2-bay chancel all under a continuous roof. The
aisles have weathered buttresses, 4-light windows with
Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds on the south and 3-light
flat-headed windows on the north. Square clerestory lights.
The chancel has a 6-light transomed window above fleuron
motifs in a chequered panel. The buttress to its right
includes an enriched statue niche. 2-storey organ chamber
and vestry with octagonal corner turret. 7-light west
window. Coped gables and eaves parapet. The monumental 4-
stage castellated tower stands outside the south aisle. It
has octagonal piers at each corner which rise as conically
roofed pinnacles, a 4-light window above the door, clock
faces on the third stage and 3-light belfry openings below a
statue in canopied niche. Interior: clustered columns with
moulded capitals and bases support a double-chamfered nave
arcade. The whole is faced in ashlar. Hammer-beam roof
trusses. Sedilia and piscina. Timberwork includes stalls,
pews, organ casing and intricately carved choir screen.
Alabaster font and stone pulpit. Stained glass; east window
Kempe, 1896. An imposing building which exhibits fine
craftsmanship both inside and out.


Listing NGR: SD6759503138

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.