History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Windy Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in Littleborough Lakeside, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6464 / 53°38'46"N

Longitude: -2.0853 / 2°5'7"W

OS Eastings: 394457

OS Northings: 416652

OS Grid: SD944166

Mapcode National: GBR FVW8.BM

Mapcode Global: WHB8R.YM50

Entry Name: Windy Bank

Listing Date: 2 January 1967

Last Amended: 23 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068536

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213343

Location: Rochdale, OL15

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Littleborough Lakeside

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Littleborough

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Littleborough Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Littleborough

Listing Text

SD 91 NW
1/11
2/1/67

LITTLEBOROUGH
BLACKSTONE EDGE
OLD ROAD
(south side)

Windy Bank
(formerly listed
as Windy Bank Farmhouse)

G.V.
II*

House. "RL 1611" (Robert Lightowlers) and "IBI 1635" (John
Butterworth) on inscribed stones but incorporating a timber-
framed structure possibly of early C16 origin. Hammer-
dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof. 3-unit
hearth-passage plan with wing to rear. Quoins and
projecting plinth. 4-bay elevation, the door in bay 2 with
C19 surround. 3, 2, 6 and 6-light double-chamfered mullion
windows with hoodmoulds. 3, 3, 6 and 6-light similar on the
first floor. 3 unequal coped gables with finials.
Gargoyles. Ridge and gable chimney stacks. Bay 1 was
rebuilt at a later date than the rest of the house, the
early timber-framed structure having been removed rather
than incorporated within the new stonework. The rear wing
(1611) predates the stonework of the main range (1635 and
later) and was formerly a free-standing single-cell house
before being linked to the main range in mid C17. It has a
door (now window) with 4-centred arch lintel, various 2, 3,
4 and 5-light double-chamfered mullion windows with
hoodmoulds, a C20 porch and a C20 lean-to garage which
obscures a gable chimney stack. Rear of main range partly
obscured by C19 extension. Interior: arched and moulded
fire surrounds to parlour and room above, with recessed and
enriched spandrels. Chamfered beams with stepped stops.
Remnants of former timber-framed structure include 2 collar
and tie-beam roof trusses which are diagonally braced to
posts, and a king-post roof truss over the hall which was
probably open to the roof. All the tie-beams are cambered.
The 1611 wing retains a bread oven within the gable stack, a
roof truss with diagonal struts, and an original boarded
door. Apart from a distinctive facade the house
incorporates several important features including the rare
survival of parts of a timber-framed open-hall-house and an
early single-cell house. H. Fishwick, History of Rochdale,
1889.

Listing NGR: SD9445716652

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.