This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0847 / 51°5'4"N
Longitude: 1.0658 / 1°3'56"E
OS Eastings: 614811
OS Northings: 136179
OS Grid: TR148361
Mapcode National: GBR V0D.SC5
Mapcode Global: FRA F638.50C
Entry Name: Slaybrook Hall
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Last Amended: 15 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175651
Location: Saltwood, Shepway, Kent, CT21
Civil Parish: Saltwood
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 13 NW SALTWOOD SANDLING ROAD
Farmhouse, now house. Late C15 or early C16 with later C16 alterations and
addition to right. Alterations and additions to rear 1910-1911 and 1925-
1926 latter by Bailey and Dudley. Timber framed with rendered infilling
and plain tile roof, including C20 additions. Wealden of 2 roughly equal-
length hall bays and storeyed left end bay. Right end bay replaced or
substantially altered in C16 to form 2 timber-framed bays. 2 storeys.
Hall, left end bay and first floor of right gable end close-studded.
Broadly-spaced studding to front of 2 right end bays. Broad low former
window cill to right hall bay. Left end bay jettied, jetty returning on
plain dragon post. Short arch-brace to left end of flying wall-plate; C20
brace and bracket to right end. Roof hipped with gablet to left, hipped to
right, with slight break between roofs of 2 sections. C20 rear stacks to
left and towards centre. Filleted brick stack in front slope of roof to
left end of hall; stack exposed to front elevation and corbelled out to
first floor. Irregular fenestration of 4 leaded casements on moulded wooden
cills; one 4- (formerly 5-) light ovolo-moulded mullion window to left end
bay; one 4-light to hall and two 3-light to right section, all with renewed
moulded wooden mullions. Blocked 5-light diamond mullion window to right
gable end. 6-light ovolo-moulded mullion window with moulded cill and
cornice to ground floor of left end bays similar, partly renewed, window
to hall and two renewed 3-light windows to right section. Moulded 4-centred
arched doorway with carved spandrels and ribbed door to right end of left
end bay. C20 rear additions. Interior: exposed framing. Two 4-centred
arched hollow-chamfered service doorways and similar rear doorway to cross-
passage. Moulded spear with integral post and panel to right end-of-hall
beam. Gerald Du Maurier and Noel Coward reputed to have stayed and worked
here. (Country Life LIX, 1926).
Listing NGR: TR1481136179
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings