History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 Porter Headstones Approximately 19 Metres West of the Tower of the Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Hadlow, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2232 / 51°13'23"N

Longitude: 0.3388 / 0°20'19"E

OS Eastings: 563414

OS Northings: 149715

OS Grid: TQ634497

Mapcode National: GBR NQ7.8GJ

Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.TJG3

Entry Name: 3 Porter Headstones Approximately 19 Metres West of the Tower of the Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 19 February 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070439

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179485

Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Hadlow

Built-Up Area: Hadlow

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hadlow

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Hadlow

Listing Text

HADLOW CHURCH STREET
TQ 63 49
7/49 3 Porter headstones approx
- 19m west of the tower of the
Church of St Mary

GV II

3 adjacent headstones. Dated between 1765-1789 in memory of various members
of the Porter family. All are sandstone upright slabs with shaped heads. All
three are very good.

The left end headstone stands approx 750mm high with a curvilinear shape
double head and recessed front panel. The inscription is in Roman serif upper
and lower case lettering and divided into 3 sections. There is a separate
column under each head and a full width section at the base. The left head
has a crude carving of a human profile above the memorial to John Porter (d.
1776), the right head has a carved pattern above the record of the death of
his wife Mary (date illegible); and the bottom section records the 2 sons and
3 daughters they left.

The other two have similarly-shaped heads carved in low relief. Their
inscriptions open in Gothic lettering but the bulk is Roman serif upper and
lower case lettering. The smaller one (approx 700mm high) is in memory of
Elizabeth Porter (d. 1765) and the head is carved with a winged cherub head
with trumpets behind. The right one stands approx 1.2m high and the head is
carved with the Good Samaritan scene. This one records the death of Elizabeth
Porter (date illegible) and her infant children, 10-month old Mary (d. 1786)
and 9-week old Henry (d. 1789).


Listing NGR: TQ6341449715

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.