History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gresgarth Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Caton-with-Littledale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0637 / 54°3'49"N

Longitude: -2.7157 / 2°42'56"W

OS Eastings: 353253

OS Northings: 463324

OS Grid: SD532633

Mapcode National: GBR 9PGG.V0

Mapcode Global: WH848.8410

Entry Name: Gresgarth Hall

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182080

Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Claughton

Listing Text

CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE
SD 56 SW

5/7 Gresgarth Hall
4.10.1967

GV II*

House, assumed to be built for Thomas Edmondson in 1802, but stylistically
possibly a little later, with some medieval remains. Sandstone rubble with
slate roof. Main facade is a balanced composition with one bay on each side
of a 3-storey porch and a one-bay wing projecting at the left. These have
embattled parapets except for the bay to the left of the porch, which is
gabled, and string courses. The windows have hoods, outer casement mouldings,
inner hollow chamfers, and 2 cinquefoiled lights separated by a mullion,
containing sashed windows with glazing bars. The porch has a corner turret
and a wide moulded outer doorway with Tudor-arched head. To the right of the
facade is a projecting gabled wing of chapel-like appearance. It has angle
buttresses and a single tall window of 3 cusped lights and outer casement
moulding under a Tudor-arched head. The left-hand return wall of the house
(at the north-east) contains a doorway, possibly C16th, with hollow chamfer
and pointed head. Adjoining the front wall at the left-hand side of the
facade is a short wall containing a moulded door surround with Tudor-arched
head and a re-set datestone inscribed: 'CG 1650'. The wall terminates with a
buttress, where it abuts a garden wall not included in the item. The garden
facade, facing south-west, is of 5 bays, the 2 right-hand bays forming a
gabled projection with angle buttresses. The window openings rise through 2
storeys, with casement mouldings, Tudor-arched heads, and hoods. Within these
openings are moulded timber window frames with 2 cusped lights on each floor,
and glazing bars. Between the 2 storeys is a band of tracery decoration. The
3rd bay has a ground-floor door with tracery decoration and Tudor-arched head.
The rear, south-east, facade has a plain central block with a ground-floor bow
window, thought to be the remains of an 18th century house which was
re-modelled: this could be the house of 1802. Interior. The ground-floor
ceiling of part of the north-east wing is formed by a wide plastered stone
barrel vault, now partly cut through by a passageway. This is probably the
remains of a medieval defensive building. The rear wall contained until
recently a 2-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window of late C16th type, now
re-set in a rear wing. The vaulted wing contains a moulded shouldered
fireplace of early C18th type, re-set from another building. The rear room of
the central block, with a bow window, contains a plaster cornice of early
C19th type. The open-string stair has square newels, a ramped handrail, and
cast iron tracery infill. The south-west wing contains 2 ground-floor marble
fireplaces, the rear one in a Gothic style.


Listing NGR: SD5325363324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.