History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Halton Green East Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Halton-with-Aughton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0819 / 54°4'54"N

Longitude: -2.7412 / 2°44'28"W

OS Eastings: 351609

OS Northings: 465366

OS Grid: SD516653

Mapcode National: GBR 9P97.BH

Mapcode Global: WH841.VNWL

Entry Name: Halton Green East Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1071891

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181856

Location: Halton-with-Aughton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Halton-with-Aughton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Halton St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Bolton le Sands

Listing Text

SD 56 NW HALTON-WITH-AUGHTON GREEN LANE

7/92 Halton Green East Farmhouse
4. 10. 1967
II*


House, early C17th with late C17th rear wing,altered C20th. Sandstone
rubble with stone slate roof. 2-unit with central entrance, now T-plan.
2 storeys with attic. Windows are of 2 main types: those of the early
C17th have wooden mullions set back in openings with plain reveals and
chamfered stone lintels; those of the late C17th are rebated and chamfered
with stone mullions. Doorway and cellar window have architraves. Front
facade has several windows of the 2nd type, some botched to a stair
window near the centre. At the left-hand side on the 1st floor is one
of the 1st type. Open wooden porch with balusters and round head, probably
early C20th. Left-hand gable has chamfered mullioned windows of 3 and 2
lights, one in place of a window of the 1st type, as is the modern attic
casement. Right-hand gable has projecting stack with offsets and 4 windows
of the 2nd type, 2 lighting the attic. Rear wing has C20th front wall in
keeping, facing the garden, but with a porch to the right with gable
copings and kneeler of C18th type and some re-used C17th dressings. Right-
hand gable wall of wing has a chamfered door surround on the 1st floor, now
blocked to form a window. Back wall, facing the road, has windows of the
2nd type, to the ground floor of 2, 1, 1, and 3 lights; to the 1st floor 2
2-light windows. Interior of the main block has an early C17th roof of 3
trusses with king posts rising from high collars and with curved braces to
the ridge, a timber-framed internal wall with ogee doorhead, and a window
of the 1st type blocked by a C20th wall. In the ground-floor room on the
right is a bolection-moulded stone fireplace of c.1700. Rear wing has
bressumer and heck post, but within this is a fireplace of c.1700 with
fluted pilasters and moulded cornice. Lintel has 2 raised and fielded
panels flanking a central floral motif. Saxon cross fragment in internal
wall of porch.


Listing NGR: SD5160965366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.