History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Sapcote Church School

A Grade II Listed Building in Sapcote, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5361 / 52°32'10"N

Longitude: -1.2802 / 1°16'48"W

OS Eastings: 448916

OS Northings: 293383

OS Grid: SP489933

Mapcode National: GBR 7M3.TCH

Mapcode Global: VHCSY.RJK5

Entry Name: Former Sapcote Church School

Listing Date: 29 March 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189023

Location: Sapcote, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Sapcote

Built-Up Area: Sapcote

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Sapcote All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Stoney Stanton

Listing Text

SAPCOTE LEICESTER ROAD
SP 49 SE (south side)


3/33 Former Sapcote
Church School
29/3/1982
II


Former church school, now a photographic studio and house. 1819,
with later C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Built at the
charge of John Frewen Turner. Brick with ashlar dressings and
plain tile roofs. Plinth, rusticated quoins, moulded eaves,
single ridge, single corner and 2 lateral brick stacks. Single
storey, 3 bays. L-plan. North side has, to right, a moulded
roundel inscribed 'This school was erected and endowed by John
Frewen Turner, esq AD 1819;'. Below it, a tablet inscribed
'Sapcote Church School'. On either side, a round headed
keystoned window with a rusticated surround, with C19 triple
lancet glazing bars. Beyond, to left, a similar but smaller
window with double lancet glazing bars. Each gable has a central
3 light wood mullioned casement flanked by single transomed
casements, all with segmental heads. Double gabled rear wing has
to north, recessed porch to left with inset C20 glazed door and
lintel inscribed 'Girls and Infants'. South side has a C20 flat
roofed addition.


Listing NGR: SP4891693383

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.