This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6335 / 52°38'0"N
Longitude: -1.1327 / 1°7'57"W
OS Eastings: 458795
OS Northings: 304319
OS Grid: SK587043
Mapcode National: GBR FGK.XV
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.K2VG
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 30 March 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188817
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
TOWN HALL SQUARE
SK 5804 SE 3/201 30.3.72 Town Hall
1874 to 76. By F.J. Hames. Freely designed large detached building of
two storeys attic and basement, centre has a second attic. Red brick
with yellow stone dressings. Tiled roofs, the centre rises with hipped
roofs. Seventeen window bays vide, all sashes in moulded stone architraves,
the centre has end and centre which project slightly, the centre with
ornate pedimental gable in stone and stone ground floor with round-arch
entrance and balcony above supported on large stone brackets. The wings
have attics with pedimental gables with circular lights. Stone segmental
pedimented chimney. Tall clock tower over north end, brick with stone
clock face stage with pediments over clock faces, and surmounted by cupola.
The Town Hall, Pickfords, Fountain and War Memorial rearelevations of
Nos 7, 9 and 11 Granby Street and Horsefair Street and all listed buildings
in Bishop Street form a group. (Pickfords is a building of local interest).
Listing NGR: SK5879504319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings