History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastham, Wirral

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3132 / 53°18'47"N

Longitude: -2.9614 / 2°57'41"W

OS Eastings: 336042

OS Northings: 380020

OS Grid: SJ360800

Mapcode National: GBR 7ZR4.N0

Mapcode Global: WH87M.HZ0C

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 December 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 215379

Location: Wirral, CH62

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Eastham

Built-Up Area: Bebington

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Eastham St Mary the Blessed Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Bromborough

Listing Text

BEBINGTON CHURCH LANE
SJ 38 SE
(north side)
Eastham
7/60 Church of
27.12.62 St. Mary

G.V. II

Church. Late C13 to early C14, north chapel and aisles,
C15, drastically restored 1870s by D. Walker. Stone, tile
roofs with fishscale bands. Nave with gabled aisles, west
tower, chancel,north chapel and south vestry. 4-bay nave
has aisles with cornice and parapet, 3-light windows with
Perpendicular tracery, mostly C19. Single lights to
clerestory. West end has 2-light windows to aisles. Tower
has deep diagonal buttresses with stepped-weathered heads;
west 2-light window, to south C19 vestry, to north small
door; bell stage has louvred Y-tracery windows. Broach
spire has unusual gable pinnacles, 3 tiers of lucarnes.
South aisle has gabled porch, entrance with elliptical head.
Vestry to south of aisle has canted end and 3-light window,
entrance to east angle; 4-light east window. Chancel has 5-
light window with reticulated tracery and 2 windows of 2
lights to south. Dormers to chancel not visible. Chapel
has 5-light window, buttress between chapel and chancel has
statue of Virgin and Child in canopied niche; north side of
4 bays with 3-light window. Interior: Nave has arcades on
octagonal piers; C19 timber arch-braced roof. Font in base
of tower is round, with band round shaft. Royal arms dated
1772. Good glass by C.E. Kempe to north aisle, clerestory,
west end of south aisle and tower, 1888-90. Chancel has
alabaster reredos; 4-bay arcade to chapel, south organ loft;
south window and dormer windows by. E. Frampton, 1888 and
1890; east window, 1871. Chapel has timber screen. To left
of altar; Charlotte Stanley, died 1662 and Sir Rowland
Stanley, died 1613 table tomb with incised slab and brass
plate. To right of altar, tomb chest, Sir William Stanley,
died 1612, with tapering Ionic columns and incised slab.
Screen to organ loft has 3 armorial panels c.1520 from Poole
Family Pew.


Listing NGR: SJ3604280020

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.