History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and Presbytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Billinge Chapel End, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4909 / 53°29'27"N

Longitude: -2.7177 / 2°43'3"W

OS Eastings: 352479

OS Northings: 399591

OS Grid: SJ524995

Mapcode National: GBR 9XG2.FB

Mapcode Global: WH86Z.7J35

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and Presbytery

Listing Date: 23 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075919

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216298

Location: Billinge Chapel End, St. Helens, WN5

County: St. Helens

Civil Parish: Billinge Chapel End

Built-Up Area: Billinge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Billinge St Aidan

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Haydock

Listing Text

SJ 59 NW BILLINGE CHAPEL END BIRCHLEY ROAD
(east side)

4/8 Church of
Saint Mary and
- Presbytery

- II

Catholic church and presbytery. Church of 1828, with mid
C19 apse and presbytery. Stone with slate roof. 3-bay nave
with impost band and cornice; pedimented west gable. Round-
headed windows have keystones and leaded glazing, and
rectangular panels above. West end has windows flanking
entrance which has porch with paired unfluted Doric columns,
frieze and cornice. Gable has projecting panel with
entwined initials. Rectangular apse has paired round-headed
lancets and adjoins the presbytery, of 2 storeys and 3 bays.
3rd bay has gable and ground-floor canted bay window with
hipped roof. Central entrance has shallow gabled porch.
Interior: Segmental vaulted ceiling. Small west gallery
above internal porch with etched glazing. Round chancel
arch on paired columns with scrolly capitals. Canted apse
with large paintings, niche to right, altar to left. Font
of 1877, alabaster on coloured marble shafts; panels of
evangelist's symbols.


Listing NGR: SJ5247999591

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.