History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Blue Ball Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wednesbury North, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.557 / 52°33'25"N

Longitude: -2.0221 / 2°1'19"W

OS Eastings: 398598

OS Northings: 295462

OS Grid: SO985954

Mapcode National: GBR 24D.H8

Mapcode Global: WHBG0.XZ8M

Entry Name: Old Blue Ball Public House

Listing Date: 29 October 1979

Last Amended: 29 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219299

Location: Sandwell, WS10

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Wednesbury North

Built-Up Area: Wednesbury

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Wednesbury St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bilston

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB HALL END
SO 9895 SE
Wednesbury
11/87 No 19 (Old Blue Ball
Public House)

II

Public house. Early to mid-C19. Rendered brick with slate roof. Two storeys.
Two bays. On the ground floor are timber canted bay windows linked by a timber
fascia. The first floor windows are sashed with glazing bars. Door between
bays. Chimneys on gables in front of ridge. The pub is known locally as
"Spittle's" because of its former landlord Jonah Spittle (1765 - 1844) who
organised cock fights on adjacent land and was one of the subjects of the
well-known broadside ballad "Wedgebury Cocking":

"At Wedgebury there was a cocking,
A match between Newton and Scroggins,
The colliers and nailors left work
And to Old Spittle's went jogging.
To see this noble sport,
Many noble men resorted,
And though they'd little money,
With that they freely sported ....."

"The cock pit was near to the church,
an ornament unto the town.
On one side was an old coal pit,
The other well gors'd around ....."

(Raven, J: The Urban and Industrial Songs of the Black Country and Birmingham,
1977, pp 110 - 115).


Listing NGR: SO9859895462

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.