This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5559 / 52°33'21"N
Longitude: -2.0203 / 2°1'13"W
OS Eastings: 398718
OS Northings: 295344
OS Grid: SO987953
Mapcode National: GBR 24D.WN
Mapcode Global: VH9YM.X0SY
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 2 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219264
Location: Sandwell, WS10
Electoral Ward/Division: Wednesbury North
Built-Up Area: Wednesbury
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Wednesbury St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SANDWELL MB CHURCH HILL
SO 9895 SE
11/57 Church of St Bartholomew
Church. Circa 1827 with C14 remains, altered and extended by Basil Champneys
1890 and later. Sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Comprises a west tower
with spire, nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, porches and chapels,
and lower chancel with three-sided apse. The tower has diagonal buttresses
and a stone spire set back behind an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles.
The west doorway is moulded with pointed head. Above is a window of two cinque-
foiled lights with Perpendicular tracery. The bell openings are each of two
trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. The upper stage
of the tower has a clock face on each side. The nave and aisles have embattled
parapets and are of three bays. Their windows, including their west windows,
are of three lights with transom, with pointed heads and cusped intersecting
tracery. The south porch has angle buttresses and a doorway with elliptical
moulded arch. The north porch has diagonal buttresses and a moulded Tudor-
arched doorway. The clerestory windows have cusped intersecting tracery.
The north and south chapels are each of two bays and have 4-light windows with
Perpendicular tracery. The foundation stone of the north chapel is dated "1901"
and the south chapel "1903". The chancel east window is of five lights with
Perpendicular tracery. Interior: five-bay nave arcades of pointed arches spring-
ing from tall octagonal piers. Roof trusses have king-posts rising from cambered
tie-beams, and some stencil decoration. The tower arch, said to be C14, of two
chamfered orders dying into the responds. The chancel has a ribbed ceiling with
bosses and stencil decoration. The pulpit, with blank arches, is dated "1611".
Sixteen windows contain glass of late C19 and early C20 date by Kempe. At the
west end of the nave is a table tomb with recumbent effigies of Richard Parkes a
(died 1618) and his wife. (BoE, p 298).
Listing NGR: SO9871895344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings