This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6765 / 52°40'35"N
Longitude: 0.3632 / 0°21'47"E
OS Eastings: 559864
OS Northings: 311374
OS Grid: TF598113
Mapcode National: GBR N4N.2NT
Mapcode Global: WHJPD.KZ4J
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221367
Location: Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen
Built-Up Area: Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen BU
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 51 SE, 3/35
WIGGENHALL ST MARY MAGDALEN,
Church of St Mary Magdalen
Parish church. C13 lower stages to west tower of carstone and ashlar, early
C14 belfry. Nave and aisles early C15, chancel Decorated with C15 alterations.
Predominantly brick with some rubblestone and lead roofs.
Three-stage tower with
angle buttresses. One lancet each side to ringing chamber and 2-light belfry
windows with reticulation unit. 2-light west window and parapet crenellations
rebuilt C19. Both aisle west windows blocked. 2-storey south porch of brick
with ashlar dressings and diagonal buttresses. Polygonal stair turret to upper
floor. Arched entrance below square-headed parvise window and 2-light side
windows all C15. South door of same early C15 date: heavily wave and hollow-moulded jambs and arch within square surround, the spandrels with diaper and
shields of Ingoldisthorpe family (left) and Howards (right). Nave aisles with
flat stepped buttresses, angle buttresses to east. Each bay with 3-light
Perpendicular windows of building campaign c.1420-1435 : 4-centred arches with
hoods, cusped lights below embattled transom rising to cusped ogee arches with
mouchette spandrels below second embattled transom in head above which are
arched panels. West window of north aisle truncated to accommodate north door.
Five clerestory windows of same date: 3-light with panel tracery under depressed
arches. Nave parapet terminating at east with polygonal (south) or square
(north) rood stair turrets with conical tops. Sanctus bellcote over gable
end 2-light east gable window. Chancel with flat buttresses, diagonal to east.
Three 3-light 4-centred panel traceried windows to south, one blocked north window.
Restored 3-light intersecting east window.
INTERIOR. Five-bay arcade of octagonal
piers with moulded polygonal bases and capitals supporting double chamfered
arches with hoods on head stops. Low stilted tower arch. Chancel arch and
responds as nave. Clerestory windows above apices of arches. Nave roof of
tie beams on arched braces with solid carved spandrels on grotesque corbels.
Moulded queen posts to butt purlins and principals, also both moulded. Secondary
principals on projecting crenellated beams with carved figures on lower face.
Aisle roofs of moulded butt purlins and principals. Arched rood stair doors
both sides and similar at rood level. Aisle windows casement and wave moulded
inside. C19 king-post chancel roof. Stepped arched sedilia under square hood,
trefoiled piscina and aumbry. Early C17 painted dado panelling at east wall:
floriated arcade of eight bays with frieze and console brackets. Reeded and fluted
Doric columns with entasis between bays. Parclose screen at north-west aisle
bay C15 with ogee bays. Perpendicular poppyhead benches. Royal arms of George
III over south door. North aisle windows contain many stained glass figures
of saints of c1450. North chancel wall has monument to Peter Bateson 1729:
various coloured marbles surround inscription tablet, brackets support lower
rail between which is apron with coat of arms.
Listing NGR: TF5986411374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings