History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Margaretsbury Community Home

A Grade II Listed Building in St Margarets, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7858 / 51°47'8"N

Longitude: -0.0023 / 0°0'8"W

OS Eastings: 537891

OS Northings: 211571

OS Grid: TL378115

Mapcode National: GBR KBV.SB8

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.XC4V

Entry Name: St Margaretsbury Community Home

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355987

Location: Stanstead St. Margarets, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanstead St Margarets

Built-Up Area: St Margarets

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

ST MARGARETS (south side)
St Margarets village
5/58 St Margaretsbury
Community Home


Former large house now a community home, probably early C19,
extended and 'rebuilt' 1890 by Ernest Newton for Septimus Croft,
builder J A Hunt, (inscribed inside porch). 2-storeys grey brick
double-pile house with complex roofs, slated or tiled with
mansards on N side. Sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6
panes generally. Plinth, floorband and parapeted eaves. Brick
pedimented wing projects on NE with stucco Ionic porch with
columns and full entablature. E front has a shallow 2-storeys
bow and a projecting chimney. 2 similar bows at E end of S
(garden) front and a wider bow with Portland Stone Ionic order to
ground floor, framing 3 French windows. Curved sash windows over
have stone double keystones. Good panelled interior to library
and drawing room (also Dutch tiles in Arts and Crafts fire
surround). Older house may have been built by Rev Stephen Platt
c1760 as the rectory mansion and sold by family to Croft in
1889. Bought by County Council c1943. An interesting house of
high quality with good interiors by Ernest Newton. Contemporary
stable block linked at W.

Listing NGR: TL3789111571

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.