History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tulse Hill, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4597 / 51°27'34"N

Longitude: -0.1159 / 0°6'57"W

OS Eastings: 530988

OS Northings: 175093

OS Grid: TQ309750

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.4X

Mapcode Global: VHGR5.YK2W

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1080532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 204008

Location: Lambeth, London, SW2

County: London

District: Lambeth

Electoral Ward/Division: Tulse Hill

Built-Up Area: Lambeth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Brixton St Matthew with St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Brixton

Listing Text

BRIXTON HILL SW2
1. (east side)
5023

Church of St Matthew
TQ 3075 17/47
TQ 3175 18/47 19.10.51

II*

2.
1822-4 by C F Porden. Greek revival preaching box with east tower. Pale yellowish
brick with dressings of stone and Roman cement. West portico tetrastyle in antis
with fluted Doric columns. Three tall battered doors, with enriched panels,
in eared moulded architraves. Cast iron boot-scrapers by doors. Five-bay
sides with pilasters of Roman cement and entablature. Battered windows with
eared architraves. Stone plinth. On each side, stairs with side walls down
to crypt entrance, a pedimented doorway enclosed by strong, double wrought iron
gates. Stone-faced east end with wide projecting central tower bay with window.
Doors in recessed side bays. Above the entablature, tower has square bell stage
with Doric screens below on octagonal "Tower of the Winds" whose low conical
top has crown and cross. Inside, a wide gallery around 3 sides has Doric organ
case at west. Tall screen of 2 Doric columns before east window. Original
pewing. Some pleasing memorial tablets.


Listing NGR: TQ3098875093

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.