This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1654 / 53°9'55"N
Longitude: -1.4161 / 1°24'57"W
OS Eastings: 439136
OS Northings: 363299
OS Grid: SK391632
Mapcode National: GBR 6B1.GT2
Mapcode Global: WHDFP.6PYQ
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 31 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79414
Location: Clay Cross, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S45
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Clay Cross
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: North Wingfield St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 36 SE TOWN OF CLAY CROSS HIGH STREET
2/26 (West Side)
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
Church. 1851 by Stevens, vestry of 1859 by G E Street. Coursed squared rock-faced
sandstone. Sandstone dressings and quoins. Plinth. Continuous sill bands to nave
aisle windows. Eaves band on carved corbels. Steeply pitched Westmorland slate
roofs. Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. Ridge crosses to east gable
ends. West tower, nave, nave aisles, lower chancel, north vestry and south porch.
Early English Style. West tower has stepped clasping buttresses up to fourth stage.
Trefoil headed west door. Lancets with moulded hoods to north and south. Projecting
stair turret to north east corner with trefoil windows. Over door, two lancets
joined by thin blind lancet. All with moulded hoods. Third stage has small lancets
to north and south, trefoil window to west. Above triple lancet, louvred bell
opening to all sides with corner pilasters to sides and stringcourse on carved
corbels over. Broached spire above with gabled lucarnes to all sides. Plate tracery
west nave aisle window to north. North elevation: four double lancets with moulded
hoods. Stepped buttresses between. Above, to clerestory, four trefoil windows.
Projecting north vestry to east. Central moulded doorcase with nook shafts to sides.
Pointed plate tracery windows either side. Buttresses to corners. C20 addition to
east with 5-light ogee topped window to east. Above plate tracery window to vestry.
4-light east window with geometric tracery. Gableted buttresses to either side.
Two lancets with moulded hoods to south chancel wall. Double lancet with triple
lancets either side to south nave aisle. Buttresses between windows. South porch
with elaborately moulded doorcase, nook shafts to sides. Double lancet windows to
either side of porch. Interior: alternating arcades of octagonal and circular piers
with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Hoodmoulds over with carved head
label stops. Similar tall tower and chancel arches. Scissor truss roof to chancel.
Large roll moulded arch through to north aisle chapel to north of chancel, filled by
wooden tracery. Trefoil headed piscina to east. Elaborately cusped wooden door to
north chapel from north aisle. Chapel has blind arcaded walls. One William Morris
& Co window in south aisle to William Howe, inventor of link motion for locomotives.
Contemporary cusped stone and wood pulpit. Re-used C15 octagonal font with traceried
panels to sides and base.
Listing NGR: SK3913663299
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings