This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6383 / 51°38'17"N
Longitude: -2.1616 / 2°9'41"W
OS Eastings: 388914
OS Northings: 193284
OS Grid: ST889932
Mapcode National: GBR 1P0.6B4
Mapcode Global: VH95K.H23Y
Entry Name: Porch House
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089587
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128554
Location: Tetbury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Tetbury
Built-Up Area: Tetbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 8893-8993 TETBURY LONG STREET
7/279 Nos 40 (Porch House)
6.9.54 and 42
Pair of houses in one building in terrace. Late C16 with added
porch dated 1677. Coursed rubblestone, partially lime washed, with
quoins and tall plinth, Cotswold stone slate roof, ashlar stack to
left with 2 diagonally set flues with moulded cornices. Single
main range with porch and through passage, 3 steep coped gables to
street and additional long rear ranges at right angles. 2 storeys
and attic. 3 bays and porch left of centre. First floor has three
4-light stone mullion windows. Gables each have 3-light stone
mullion with square hoodmould and small plain-glazed round window
over set in square stone frame. Finials to gables. Ground floor
has 4-light stone mullion to left of porch, 3-light to right, door
to No. 42 in deep panelled reveal with C18 4 fielded panel door and
shallow fanlight, and 4-light stone mullion to far right. Ground
floor and first floor have bearing arches and continuous dripmould.
Porch of 2 storeys with coped gable with finial, 2-light stone
mullion with square hoodmould, and doorcase with moulded stone
architrave, pulvinated frieze and cornice and date 1677. C19
double doors with trefoil head top panels and diagonal slatting
lead to through passage giving access to No. 40 on left. Across
rear is late C16 timber framed gallery, now only exposed directly
behind through passage. No. 40 has some original beams but
interior mostly altered.
Interior of No. 42 has in ground floor room on left the original
deep stone lintel of a fireplace about 2m long. Room to right has
plank door, large moulded beam, part of a large stone fireplace
with moulded lintel, and remains of a straw and plaster ceiling.
Building reputed to have been designed as a school.
Listing NGR: ST8890493283
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings