History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Thomas Monuments, About 15 Metres South of Nave in Churchyard of Church of St Swithin

A Grade II Listed Building in Quenington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7336 / 51°44'0"N

Longitude: -1.7865 / 1°47'11"W

OS Eastings: 414841

OS Northings: 203898

OS Grid: SP148038

Mapcode National: GBR 4S9.C4S

Mapcode Global: VHB2M.ZPFD

Entry Name: Two Thomas Monuments, About 15 Metres South of Nave in Churchyard of Church of St Swithin

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089945

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129868

Location: Quenington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Quenington

Built-Up Area: Quenington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Coln St Aldwyn St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Coln Saint Aldwyn

Listing Text

SP 10 SW QUENINGTON CHURCH ROAD
(west side)

6/242 Two Thomas Monuments, about 15m
south of nave in churchyard of
Church of St. Swithin

GV II

Two bale tombs. Elinor Thomas 1685 to south, William Thomas 1677
to north. Limestone. Elinor Thomas has spiral bale top with fan
ends on moulded capping and plinth, plain sides, recessed end
panels with inscription to west and initials ET to east. William
Thomas has spiral bale top with concave end with cherub head and
wings to west, mask in flat surround to east, on moulded capping
and plinth. Lyre ends with wreathed oval panel with rosettes over
to east, and well preserved west end with head and wings over small
oval panel in carved surround, with vigorously carved acanthus and
floral decoration. Recessed sides with deep moulding, with hanging
drapery flanking inscription on north side. Both tombs set
together on surround of headstones probably mainly of C19.

Listing NGR: SP1484103898

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.