History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Royal Oak

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.786 / 51°47'9"N

Longitude: -2.1931 / 2°11'35"W

OS Eastings: 386775

OS Northings: 209717

OS Grid: SO867097

Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.Y2H

Mapcode Global: VH94R.XCYQ

Entry Name: The Royal Oak

Listing Date: 21 October 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133461

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Built-Up Area: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

PAINSWICK ST MARY'S STREET
SO 8609/8709 (part)
(south side)
8.274 The Royal Oak
21.10.55
GV II

Inn, formerly the Red Lion and the Royal Oaks; amalgamated 1891. C17, much
modified in C19 and C20. Coursed and squared limestone, stone slate roofs. A
long building set to curve in street; left, later half is eaves to street, but
right half has double coped gables, which are repeated on the far side.
Scattered fenestration; the left hall has a 4-pane sash, a 2-light casement and
a 4-pane fixed light; first floor has two 2-light chamfer-mullion casements, one
with stopped hood; between these a single light, then to right a 2-light wood
casement. Off-centre, left, a pair of 3-panel doors; floor level is well below
present paving level. The double gabled unit, right, was formerly a separate
inn, has 2-light chamfer mullion casement above a loading door about 2 m above
the pavement, with plank door - this is assumed to have been formerly a window.
At eaves to left a stack, and two small stacks at ridge, right. The far side of
the building has a small paved courtyard adjacent to Loveday's Garden (q.v.) and
to left the double-gabled unit has 2 or 3-light stone mullioned casements.


Listing NGR: SO8677509717

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.