This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7212 / 51°43'16"N
Longitude: -2.1673 / 2°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 388542
OS Northings: 202507
OS Grid: SO885025
Mapcode National: GBR 1N0.4VK
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.DZ3Y
Entry Name: Firwood
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132799
Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Chalford
Built-Up Area: Chalford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8802-8902 CHALFORD BROWNSHILL
Large detached house with chapel. Mid-late C17; extensive
addition c1830; c1890 chapel added for Christopher Smith. Ashlar
and random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; concrete tile,
stone and Welsh slate roofs. Two-storey rectangular block added to
end of two-storey with attic house; attached chapel on east side.
South front: main elevation of c1830 house. Three-window
fenestration, all 12-pane sashes except glazed doors to left. Two
segmental 2-storey bows, ground floor openings in segmental arched
recess; similar recess to central upper floor sash window.
Central doorway with 8-panel fielded door, decorative rectangular
light over and side lights, all with Regency architraves. Portico
porch with Ionic columns in antis; moulded cornice with blocking
course. Plain upper floor level band; moulded eaves cornice with
blocking course. Three ball finials. C20 flat-roofed addition to
right is not of special interest. West side: central ground floor
and 2 upper floor sashes in plain openings; band and cornice
continued from front. Scattered timber mullioned fenestration to
earlier part of house to left, mostly with leaded iron casements
and timber lintels. Two C20 raking roof dormers. Cl9 ridge-
mounted chimney; roof hipped at north end with Cl9 attached
outbuildings. East side: 2-window to ashlar elevation returned
from front. Late C19 chapel linked to house by flat-roofed C20
addition which is not of special interest. Simple traceried chapel
windows. Interior: doorways have Regency architraves. Elliptical
staircase with stick balusters lit by oval domed roof-light.
(M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and
D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8854202507
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings