This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8925 / 51°53'32"N
Longitude: -2.2718 / 2°16'18"W
OS Eastings: 381393
OS Northings: 221582
OS Grid: SO813215
Mapcode National: GBR 0JF.8GX
Mapcode Global: VH944.KPVL
Entry Name: Maisemore Court, Old Court, New Court
Listing Date: 26 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134357
Location: Maisemore, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2
Civil Parish: Maisemore
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Maisemore St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
MAISEMORE CHURCH ROAD
Maisemore Court, Old Court,
Former manor house, now farmhouse and 2 attached houses. Early
C17, enlarged and altered late C18 for W. Pitt, C19, minor
alterations mid C20. Pebble-dashed render to stonework, ashlar
quoins and details to bow window; English bond brickwork north-
west corner, Monk bond north-east, slate roof. Irregular H plan,
5-bay entrance front to garden, 3-bay link, 2 rooms deep, 2 1/2
storeys. East front; entrance front to part from late C18 to
1940's; stone plinth, flush stone quoins to main section; dummy
window recess on left. Half-glazed door with 2 flush panels
below, flush-panelled reveals, all up 4 stone steps with nosings.
Half Doric columns each side, full frieze and pediment with guttae
over. Two sashes to right. First floor, blind window, 3 sashes,
plain string course and parapet over, plain stone capping sweeping
up to 3 equally spaced, plain brick chimneys. Two gabled dormers
behind in gaps between chimneys, with 2-light casements, large
chimney on ridge behind right-hand eaves one. Parapet gables with
cross-gablet apices. Lower wing slightly set back on right, 6-
panel door on left, up one wooden step, top 2 panels glazed; 16-
pane sash to right. Above two 16-pane sashes, plain parapet,
parapet gable on right. Left return (south facade), gabled wings
right and left; plinth, flush quoins. Right gable 2-storey bow
window, curved sashes, ashlar pillars between: to left 3 sash
windows in set-back centre: 3-light hollow-chamfered stone-
mullioned window in left wing, hoodmould. First floor, bay on
right as below, plain parapet to flat roof; 2 sashes in set-back
centre, one in left wing. Parapet gables to wings, with former 2-
light, hollow-chamfered, mullioned windows, centre mullion since
removed, 2-light casement inserted on right, 6-pane window on left.
Large, external stone chimney on left return, with stone offsets
and brick top.
Interior: Maisemore Court: dado rail and moulded cornices to main
rooms on ground floor, panelled shutters to rooms on left. Hall,
stone paving, 6-panel doors, dentil cornice; stairs, fretwork ends
to treads, turned balusters, moulded handrail, wreath at bottom,
ramped to landings; oval dome over. Left front, Adam-style
fireplace over stone surround, cast-iron fireback, IFC 1588, said
to have come from Sussex; dust-ledge panelling, probably late C19.
Room behind Adam-style fireplace, cornice brought out over windows.
Early C18 stone fireplace surround in pantry, with keystone; cast-
iron grate for heating flat irons. Painting of man with whip on
wall in cupboard off kitchen. First floor 6-panel doors:
panelled shutters to most rooms. Three stone fireplace surrounds
with cast-iron grates. Dust-ledge panelling main bedroom, Adam
style fireplace, cast-iron grate with reeded frame and corner
paterae. Timber-framed wall in square panels to room beyond,
boarded door with L hinges. Two pairs purlins main roof, curved
wind braces; angle-strut truss over kitchen, one pair purlins,
square ridge. Old Court: timber-framed cross walls with
segmental door heads: close studded wall to rear. Exposed,
unchamfered joists in main room on right. Dust-ledge panelling to
first floor room in centre link; hollow chamfer to 2-light stone-
mullioned window on left. C17 house 'U' plan open to south with
porch on north towards farmyard, and one cross wing projecting same
side. Wing later extended, also other cross wing towards
farmyard, and angle to porch infilled. Forms group with church
and stables (q.v.). Described as 'a good house' by Atkyns.
House divided into 2 properties by 1740, recombined probably after
1822, but part still used as cottage early C20: again subdivided
(Atkyns, The Ancient & Present State of Gloucestershire, 1712; D.
Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
Gloucs R.O. - G.D.R. G2/3)
Listing NGR: SO8139321582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings