History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maisemore, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8931 / 51°53'35"N

Longitude: -2.272 / 2°16'19"W

OS Eastings: 381380

OS Northings: 221655

OS Grid: SO813216

Mapcode National: GBR 0JF.8DH

Mapcode Global: VH944.KPR2

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171533

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134351

Location: Maisemore, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Maisemore

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Maisemore St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Maisemore

Listing Text

MAISEMORE CHURCH ROAD
SO 8021-8121
8/60
Church of St. Giles
10-1-55
GV
II*
Parish church. C15, early C16, 1844, 1869 by Fulljames and
Waller. Coursed, squared lias with ashlar dressings, ashlar to
porch, stone slate roof. Four-bay nave, north aisle, west tower,
south porch, chancel, vestry. South facade: 3-stage tower,
moulded top to plinth, diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses.
Second stage 2-light reticulated-tracery window, similar third with
stone louvres; upper part third stage ashlar; crenellated
parapet, string below with 2 gargoyles, moulded rib up corner:
pyramid roof with iron weathervane. Nave: square-set end and
intermediate buttresses, 3-light C19 reticulated-tracery windows,
eastern Perpendicular. Plain projecting eaves. Porch in second
bay, plinth, diagonal corner buttresses, moulded door surround, 4-
centre arch, hoodmould: half-glazed doors 1972. C19 statue over
in original niche with hoodmould, sundial above: parapet gable,
cross-gablet apex with cross lacking top member. Two-light window
in returns, moulded wooden eaves. Chancel slightly set back from
nave: plinth, 2-light reticulated-tracery window, square-set
corner buttress. Parapet gables to nave and chancel, cross-gablet
apices with stone crosses, additional gablet foot of chancel slope.
East end 3-light Geometric-tracery window, floriate stops to
hoodmould. North elevation, chancel as south; vestry projects,
plinth, boarded door and cinquefoil-headed lancet left return: 2-
light window with hoodmould north face, parapet gable over, with
stump of chimney at apex, stone offsets. Aisle projects on right;
plinth, end and centre square-set buttresses, 4 windows, left 3-
light Perpendicular tracery, rest 2-light reticulated. Parapet
gables with cross-gable apices and stone crosses, stump of chimney
on bottom of west gable. Tower, as south side, but window only in
third stage: 3 lancets below for stairs. West face: 3-light
window with hoodmould to aisle, tower as south, but boarded door
with arched, moulded stone surround, 2-light window above offset to
right, Decorated tracery, hoodmould. Second stage blank, third as
south.
Interior: porch arch-braced collar-rafter roof, inserted plastered
barrel vault since removed. Nave: octagonal piers with moulded
capitals, hoodmould to arches; wide C19 chancel arch with
corbelled inner section; iron railing on stone base below.
Swelling capitals as at Ashleworth to tower arch. Open, hammer-
beam roof trusses, rising from stone corbels, with intermediate
half trusses; 2 pairs purlins, wind braces to upper, square ridge
piece, exposed rafters. North aisle roof arch-braced collar
trusses, one pair purlins with wind braces. Three-bay chancel,
dado panelling and reredos as War Memorial; arch-braced collar
trusses with short king-post, one pair purlins, painted decoration
to chamfers on wallplate and braces. Semi-octagonal wooden
Jacobean pulpit, corner columns and strapwork, on stone base:
probably C18 hour-glass stand. Octagonal stone front, said to be
cut down in C15 from Norman one, on C19 stone base; early C18
wooden cover. George III royal arms over south door. Wheeler
wall monument in aisle, with scrolls, cherub and broken pediment,
1680; marble wall monuments to W. Pembruge, 1738, Pitt, 1784: 3
late C17 wall monuments in nave. Chancel restored 1844, further
extensive restoration 1869 when north aisle added and gallery
removed; no medieval window tracery left in nave or chancel.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory, 1897)


Listing NGR: SO8138021655


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.