History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends Meeting House

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7862 / 51°47'10"N

Longitude: -2.19 / 2°11'23"W

OS Eastings: 386990

OS Northings: 209740

OS Grid: SO869097

Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.YZS

Mapcode Global: VH94S.0C2K

Entry Name: Friends Meeting House

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133529

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Built-Up Area: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

SO 8609 (part),
8/337

PAINSWICK,
VICARAGE STREET (south side),
Friends Meeting House

GV

II

Built 17-5-1706; major repairs and modifications 1793/4. Limestone
ashlar, slate roof to very steep pitch, presumably replacing original stone
slate. A very direct gabled building, with small ashlar stack with moulded
cappings to each gable. Entrance front has, set high, two cross mullioned
casements in wood, with leading and under a drip moulding. Below is a pair of
early plank doors in moulded surround to a slightly peaked head under on a
gabled porch to wood brackets. South front has 2 large 24-pane sashes, and,
centrally a blocked door opening with date 1706 over. West gate (back) has two
12-pane sashes, and the north wall, facing Dovers House and Cottage (qv) is
plain.

INTERIOR: has heavy chamfered and stopped beams to a 6 compartment
ceiling; C18 staircase, C10 benches. The building was closed in 1894 and
re-opened in 1952. The meeting had, since 1658, had a burial ground at Dell Farm
(qv), gift of Thomas Loveday, who greatly supported the community.
(STELL, C; An Inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England,
RCHM, 1986: Glos No 122).


Listing NGR: SO8699009740

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.