This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0076 / 51°0'27"N
Longitude: -1.2675 / 1°16'2"W
OS Eastings: 451489
OS Northings: 123395
OS Grid: SU514233
Mapcode National: GBR 86P.QCY
Mapcode Global: FRA 867G.21Q
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145497
Location: Owslebury, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Owslebury
Built-Up Area: Owslebury
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Owslebury St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 52 SW OWSLEBURY OWSLEBURY
8/25 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Parish Church. C14 of 2 phases, chancel then nave, C15 transepts, C19 enlargement
and restoration. Coursed flint part rendered and dressed stone, old plain tile
roof. Plan of C14 chancel, nave and W tower. To N and S of nave, double gables
of transept and aisle, and SW vestry. , Chancel early C14, rendered, E window
C19 3-light with geometic tracery. N and S walls have C14 single uncusped lights
with C19 heads and labels. Nave has central roof with 2 gables on each side.
Each gable except SE has C19 3-light perp. window with hood. SE window 3-light
with trefoiled lights below transom and trefoiled tracery above. In C20 vestry
2-light cinquefoiled window. Reset door, possibly from chapel at Marwell Manor
(qv), in W end of nave, against N wall of tower, has pointed head of 2 moulded
orders with lablel. In W end of vestry pointed arch. Tower rebuilt C17 has 2-light
square headed trefoiled W window with panel above inscribed "TC,IF,1675". 2nd stage
string on all faces of upper stages C19 cusped lights with oversized labels and
above string course and crennelations. Inside, chancel has older pointed E rear
arch with along bottom 4 stone panels of shields surrounded by tracery, and
shouldered arches to side windows. In NE corner pointed tomb recess. On floor
slab 1708 to Thomas Dacre. Monuments in NE 1731 to Lord George Carpenter, grey
marble, panel on base framed with pilasters, entablature with open pediment with
acroterion urns and coat of arms in centre; to S 1749 to George, 2nd Lord Carpenter,
grey, white and yellow marble, obelisk behind bust flanked by urns on moulded
and panelled base. Tablets to S 1753 to John Carpenter; 1798-1807 to Henry Rickets
and Lord Rosehill; in gothic frames 1805 to Elizabeth Rickets, 1827 to Lady Carnegie.
Altar rails C17, turned balusters and moulded handrail. Crown post roof with
arched braces to collars. Chancel arch pointed, of 2 chamfed orders with C17
square capitals. Nave altered C19 when arcades taken out and replaced by iron
columns, rebuilt C20 with steel wallplates and columns cased in panelled oak
with in centre of arcades pair of columns in tapering cases. Arch braced rafter
roofs. Around walls panelling made from ends of C18 box pews. Monument in
NE 1835 to Countess of Northesk. Tower arch C19 with above repainted Royal Arms
CR1681. Under tower donor board 1835 and retooled C15 octagonal font on column.
VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 335. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 368-9.
Listing NGR: SU5143323309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings