This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2529 / 52°15'10"N
Longitude: -1.9911 / 1°59'28"W
OS Eastings: 400701
OS Northings: 261630
OS Grid: SP007616
Mapcode National: GBR 2H0.MG0
Mapcode Global: VHB00.FMQT
Entry Name: The Old School House
Listing Date: 10 April 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 156608
Location: Feckenham, Redditch, Worcestershire, B96
Civil Parish: Feckenham
Built-Up Area: Feckenham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Feckenham St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
REDDITCH B MILL LANE (south side)
SP 0061 - 0161
9/132 The Old School House
House, used as school in C19. Dated 1611; altered 1848; restored late C20.
Timber-framed with brick and rendered infill, partly pebbledashed with some
brick refacing and replacement walling; machine-tiled roof and C19 ridge
stack to south of centre. Three framed bays aligned north/south with
chimney between central and south bay forming a baffle-entry plan; small
single-bay framed wing to west of north bay. Single storey and attic with
dormers. Framing: three rows of close-set studding from sill to wall-plate,
long straight braces in some lower corners; south gable end appears jettied
on shaped brackets but has been refaced in brick; no trusses visible externally.
Gothick style windows with pointed lights throughout. East front elevation:
two ground floor 3-light windows, two gabled dormers with 2-light windows;
ledged and battened door to left of centre. Attic lights in gable ends.
Interior: framing mainly intact, ogee stop-chamfered cross-beamed ceiling
in north bay; cross-frame between north and central bay moulded with ceiling
beam supported on moulded brackets inscribed with an heraldic device. Back-
to-back fireplaces. Winder staircase in north bay beside which is partly
concealed a blocked 3-light ovolo-mullioned window. At the south gable end
of the house is a C19 lean-to addition and in the gable is a datestone on
which is written "ERECTED/ AD 1611/ REPAIRED/ AD 1848". The building stands
adjacent to the site of the Royal Hunting Lodge to the west of the village
and the quality of the original interior detailing recently revealed inside
suggests that it was a building of some significance. The present entrance
is probably in its original position at the lower end of the former hall
with the detailing concentrated in the upper north bay. The building was
being restored at the time it was surveyed (July 1985).
Listing NGR: SP0070161630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings