This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.815 / 51°48'53"N
Longitude: -0.4712 / 0°28'16"W
OS Eastings: 505483
OS Northings: 214030
OS Grid: TL054140
Mapcode National: GBR G61.1PS
Mapcode Global: VHFRS.SN80
Entry Name: Hill Farm
Listing Date: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157811
Location: Flamstead, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3
Civil Parish: Flamstead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Flamstead
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
FLAMSTEAD LITTLE WOOD END
TL 01 SE
4/35 Hill Farm
Farmhouse, now a private house. 1740s in style of Vanburgh for
Sir Thomas Sebright of Beechwood as an eyecatcher from his mansion to NW
(design by Richard Bentley for Sir Thomas of 1751-61 for a Gothick
quatrefoil plan 'House on Hill Farm' may be for unexecuted scheme for
remodelling the present 'folly'). Late C18 rear block probably replaced
an older building to which the 1740s block had been added incorporating
its staircase wing. Early C19 renovations. Red brick in English-bond,
steep hipped old red tile roofs, slate roofs to turrets behind parapets.
A tall 2 1/2-storeys and cellar castellated house with a rectangular turret
at each end of its W front. Plan has end-chimneys and central entrance
with passage running to stair at rear. Kitchen/main room at N, parlour
at S. Rear block for late C18 kitchen and dairy with servant's stair
later. Symmetrical W front of 3-windows and 2-storeys with turrets
carried one stage higher and door in middle. Plinth, torus plat-band,
arched and coved eaves cornice. Giant sunk and plastered cross-shaped
arrow loops 3 to each turret. Brick label over doorway and window above.
Flush-box sash windows with 6/6 panes and segmental arches. 3-lights
casement over door. 2 pointed arched Gothick casement windows in S end
of S turret, suggest front windows may originally have been pointed.
4-panels flush-beaded door in heavy frame with flat hood. Coved and
arcaded cornice carried round turrets and across chimneys projecting to
N and S. Double dentilled courses to corbelled top with ovolo offset
between. Similar corbel course with one course of dentilled headers to
rear 2-storeys and attics part of main block, with segmental arches to
3-lights casement windows. Lower 2-storeys 3-windows rear wing facing E
with hipped roof projecting porch off centre. Long single-storey brick
and tile range of outbuildings joins N end at acute angle and links to
barn at NE. Interior has a closed string staircase with heavy turned
balusters and heavy square newels. Wide fireplace in N room with wooden
lintel under relieving arch. Grates with fluted surrounds c.1840 in
front bedrooms and plain marble fireplace in parlour.
Listing NGR: TL0548314030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings