History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bell Public House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Benington, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8955 / 51°53'43"N

Longitude: -0.1132 / 0°6'47"W

OS Eastings: 529927

OS Northings: 223569

OS Grid: TL299235

Mapcode National: GBR K9J.278

Mapcode Global: VHGP2.0M07

Entry Name: The Bell Public House

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101413

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159621

Location: Benington, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Benington

Built-Up Area: Benington

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Benington

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

TL 2923 BENINGTON TOWN LANE
(south side)

11/22 No 4
(The Bell PH)

20.10.52

GV II*

House, already an inn by 1693, now a PH. Late medieval hall
house with long W wing, hall rebuilt in mid Cl7 as 2 storeys with
central chimney and jettied E crosswing. Altered in mid C19.
Timber frame with basketwork panelled pargetting and
weatherboarded apron. Steep old red tile roofs hipped with
gablet at E end. 2 storeys range facing N with central chimney
backing onto cross passage at W end with twin service doors (one
retains 4-centred arched head) into 2 storeys W crosswing,
jettied to N and with large external lateral chimney on N
servicing large N room formerly separated by a passage from S
room. Cl7 E wing less deep with space for stair behind front
room. Lean-to rear extensions. Assymetrical N front with one
window to upper floor of each gabled and jettied crosswing and
one to centre. 3 windows to ground floor with door to cross
passage in the angle with the W wing (6 panel: 2 flush, 2 sunk, 2
glazed) under flat hood on shaped brackets, and more recent
central door to public bar (2 panels and half-glazed above) with
similar hood. C19 2-light and 3-light flush casement windows
with small panes on ground floor, except 6-light range to W wing
with flap-down external shutter. Heavy bull-nosed joists and
corner brackets to each jetty, exposed purlin ends to clasped
purlin roofs. Tall T-plan red brick central chimney a third from
W gable of hall range. 4-light ovolo-moulded Cl7 window on E
end. Interior has large open fireplace in hall with a wall
painting cl?20 over of a stag hunt in a wooded undulating
landscape with mounted hunters and hounds. Ovolo moulded axial
beam supported by chimney. Heavy, flat-laid exposed joists in NW
room. Large early C18 corner cupboard in NE room with fielded
and panelled doors. Cl7 staircase and exposed timber structure
on 1st floor. Doors with strap hinges on hooks. Wide
floorboards. Of special interest for ancient structure and c1720
wall painting. (RCHM Typescript)


Listing NGR: TL2992723569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.