History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 1, 2, 3, 4 the Green (At North West Corner of the Green)

A Grade II Listed Building in Ardeley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9284 / 51°55'42"N

Longitude: -0.0995 / 0°5'58"W

OS Eastings: 530771

OS Northings: 227247

OS Grid: TL307272

Mapcode National: GBR K94.5N2

Mapcode Global: VHGNW.7S7K

Entry Name: Nos 1, 2, 3, 4 the Green (At North West Corner of the Green)

Listing Date: 31 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101439

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159495

Location: Ardeley, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Ardeley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ardeley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3027
9/2
ARDELEY

ARDELEY
(north side)

The Green
Nos 1, 2, 3, 4
(at NW corner of
The Green)

GV
II

Block of 4 houses. 1918 (plaque on front) by F C Eden for John
Howard Carter of The Bury as part of a picturesque Blaise Hamlet
type scheme at The Green. Roughcast brick with black plinth and
steep thatched roofs, hipped at S, half-hipped at N. An
irregular U-shaped block facing E. One and a half storeys with
central arched tunnel, 5 large square red brick central chimneys,
and 4 eyebrow dormers along the front eaves. Small square tiled
and weatherboarded bay window with 2 small-paned casements, to
each side of central arch. Oak plank doors in trellis porches
with tented lead roofs. Small-paned flush 2-light casement
windows. Projecting wings at each end. Triangular ceramic
plaque over archway 'H/J.C./A. 1918.D/MELIORIS AEVI'. (Pevsner
(1977) 73).


Listing NGR: TL3077127247

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.