This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8083 / 51°48'30"N
Longitude: 0.1427 / 0°8'33"E
OS Eastings: 547815
OS Northings: 214359
OS Grid: TL478143
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.LWF
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.FT83
Entry Name: Bonks Hill House
Listing Date: 2 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160777
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HIGH WYCH ROAD
Bonks Hill House
TL 478 143:6/21
C17 largely rebuilt and extended circa 1827 for the celebrated rose grower
Thomas Rivers (1789-1877) of Rivers Nursery adjoining (founded by John
Rivers in 1725 with Bonks Hill as the family house). Regency 2 storey L-
shaped stucco villa,with giant pilasters to front facing SE. Hipped slate
roof with plastered soffit panelled. Large gable stack to N end where 2
storey timberframed and weatherboarded section of older house remains. Long
1½ storey timberframed weatherboarded range encloses N side of front court.
Steep pantiled clasped purlin roof. Now storage, this range has a central
red brick chimney possibly indicating earlier domestic use. Yorkshire
casement window under eaves. This range is said to have been shortened at
the SE end when the road cutting was made in the late C19. 3 window stucco
front lined as ashlar over projecting plinth. Large recessed sashes with
6/6 panes and slender glazing bars. 4 giant pilasters framing 3 bays, the
central one narrower. Central round headed doorway with simple stucco
architrave with flattened torus moulding unbroken except for square
panelled impost blocks. Door set in recessed plain arch. Bolection
moulded panelled door with large bottom panel, a horizontal mid panel and
2 vertical panels above. Lobed radial fanlight with tapered lantern in
centre with 3 front faces. SW front symmetrical. Projecting plinth.
Stucco lined as ashlar. Central and corner pilasters. 2 broad full height
projections in panels between, pierced by windows. Recessed 6/6 paned
sashes. French doors to Gd floor. Projecting C19 single storey
conservatory next S corner. Elongated cast iron corner columns carrying
iron entablature with interlaced vine scroll frieze and coved cornice.
Glazed timber screens. A house of striking appearance in a picturesque
setting and with important historical horticultural connections (Country
Life, 25 June 1981, p 1838).
Listing NGR: TL4781514359
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings