This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8795 / 51°52'46"N
Longitude: -0.3076 / 0°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 516590
OS Northings: 221459
OS Grid: TL165214
Mapcode National: GBR H6T.11S
Mapcode Global: VHGP4.M07Z
Entry Name: Pickerings Cottage at Pickerings Farm
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162910
Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: St. Paul's Walden
Civil Parish/community: St Paul's Walden
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 12 SE ST PAUL'S WALDEN BENDISH
4/118 Pickering's Cottage
at Pickerings Farm
House. Early C17 N part, S part c.1700. N part timber framed with
roughcast upper floor and panelled brick renewal of ground floor. S part
a taller red brick block in Flemish-bond. Steep old red tile roofs. A
2-storeys irregular house facing W. N part was originally a single-cell
building with large external S gable chimney with a single window to
each floor and gable entrance. This was incorporated into a taller and
wider S extension with lobby entrance at N end of W front giving onto
stair next older stack, and one large room on each floor with internal S
gable chimney and closets on each side of it. W front of this part has a
plat band and wooden eaves cornice. 3-lights casement window to each
floor under segmental arch. Moulded brick S gable parapet and moulded
corbel at corner. Small blocked windows to closets beside chimney. The
upper room in the older N part has jowled posts and side-purlin roof.
Painted black letter inscription on wallplate at S part of E wall, 'they
that [bu]ilt in the land, Shalbeas ..../....oyed, but abideth for ever.
The rist shall live by his faith.1614'.
Listing NGR: TL1659021459
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings