History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mill Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9328 / 51°55'58"N

Longitude: -0.2708 / 0°16'14"W

OS Eastings: 518986

OS Northings: 227444

OS Grid: TL189274

Mapcode National: GBR H62.Y2M

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.8P65

Entry Name: The Mill Farm

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102506

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162675

Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Ippolyts

Built-Up Area: Hitchin

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ST IPPOLLITTS MILL LANE
TL 1827 (West side)
Gosmore

8/63 No. 7
- (The Mill Farm)

- II

House. Built between 1828 and 1832 for Mr. Brown Collison as miller's
house for a windmill then recently built and demolished c.1870 (inf
Mrs. Rance). Buff brick, E wing a red brick extension, slate roofs
mostly hipped. A small stripped-down Neo-classical single-storey house
facing S, with small pitched-roof E block fronting the road, and
single-storey E wing extending to rear in similar style. Symmetrical S
front with gabled central projection with verge overhang suggesting a
pediment. Paired pilasters at all corners. One window to each side and
central entrance. Gauged arches in fine buff brick. E block set back on
RH with central projection on S with window all below overhanging eaves.
Internal chimneys of 2 separate square shafts with caps linked above
echoing the paired pilasters. E end has wide projecting verge on 3
shaped brackets, paired pilasters linked at base and head support a
semi-circular arch with key-block above a recess with flat gauged arch
over a 2-light window with apron below, 2-light flush cast iron lattice
casement. Square projection in NE angle to rear with margin-light
casement window in each side, a parapet to roof. Entrance now into
single-storey extension with matching paired pilasters on overhanging
eaves with brackets to hipped roof.


Listing NGR: TL1898627444

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.