History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Graveley Bury

A Grade II Listed Building in Graveley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9363 / 51°56'10"N

Longitude: -0.2058 / 0°12'20"W

OS Eastings: 523441

OS Northings: 227944

OS Grid: TL234279

Mapcode National: GBR J7H.GT4

Mapcode Global: VHGNT.DL1G

Entry Name: Graveley Bury

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162625

Location: Graveley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Graveley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Graveley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

GRAVELEY CHURCH LANE
TL 2327 (South side)

13/12 Graveley Bury
9.6.52 Nos. 1, and 2

GV II

Farmhouse, now 2 houses. C17 or earlier. Timber frame roughcast, with
steep pitched old red tile roofs. Half-hipped W rear end of S wing. A
2-storeys, H-plan house with hall range slightly higher than
wings, facing E. Large rearwall chimney projects from N part of hall
range, 2½ bays N parlour wing projects to front and rear, has a narrow
stair bay at rear and large external lateral chimney on N wall. Large
similar chimney on S wall of S wing which is presumably a service wing,
projecting to front and rear. S part of hall range has inserted internal
chimney backing onto S wing and staircase at rear. This is presumably
an enlargement of the cross-passage. E front has 2 windows to each floor
of hall range, central entrance, a window to each floor of each wing,
and a separate door into the S wing on the right of the window. This
wing now forms No. 2. Flush casement windows of 2- and 3-lights to 1st
floor and to ground floor of S wing. Sash windows with small panes to
ground floor with external shutters. Triple sashes to right of centre,
6/6 panes on left of entrance. 4-panels flush-beaded door in heavy frame
with flat hood on shaped brackets. Door to No. 2 a plank door. Interior
has clasped-purlin roof, jowled posts, close studding, 2-light
ovolo-moulded blocked small windows flanking the C18 3-light leaded
casement to the chamber over the hall. Axial beams to hall range and
parlour wing, chamfered with hollow stops. Tumbled brick offsets to
projecting hall chimney. Remains of panelled pargetting. (RCHM (1911)93:
RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL2344127944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.