This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5584 / 53°33'30"N
Longitude: -0.0295 / 0°1'46"W
OS Eastings: 530624
OS Northings: 408666
OS Grid: TA306086
Mapcode National: GBR XW79.F4
Mapcode Global: WHHHT.JT6G
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 22 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164465
Location: North East Lincolnshire, DN35
County: North East Lincolnshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Croft Baker
Built-Up Area: Cleethorpes
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Cleethorpes St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 3008 NE CLEETHORPES ST PETER'S AVENUE
8/23 The Old Vicarage
Former vicarage house, now part of school. 1851-2 by Edward
Micklethwaite of Grimsby, with tower addition to rear of 1869 by David
Thompson, surveyor of Grimsby. Red-brown brick in English bond with
painted ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Approximately square on
plan: main L-shaped range forms 2-room, central entrance-hall south
front and west garden front, with a pair of wings to rear and a later
square-section tower addition in the north-west corner. 2 storeys.
3-bay asymmetrical south front with a projecting gabled entrance bay, a
slightly less advanced full-height gabled bay to right and a projecting
gabled wing to left. Chambered plinth and brick first-floor band
throughout. Round-arched entrance of two orders has painted ashlar
impost blocks with eshlar outer arch and brick inner arch, 2 steps to
recessed C20 door and plain fanlight in original wooden architrave.
Tall, slightly recessed tripartite sashes to left and right with glazing
bars, painted ashlar lintels and sills. First floor 3-course brick band
at sill level. 12-pane sash to central bay, single tripartite sashes to
side bays. Stepped eaves. Exposed rafter ends. Gables to each bay
have small segmental-headed boarded ventilator openings, deep bracketed
eaves. Pair of stacks, each with corniced brick bases and triple
octagonal corniced shafts. Left return: original section has two
advanced bays, each with tripartite sashes to ground and first floors;
3-storey addition to left has 4-pane ground-floor sash beneath timber
lintel, 4-pane first-floor sash beneath segmental arch, similar
second-floor sash beneath lintel, pyramidal roof and pair of side-wall
stacks similar to those of main range, with triple and double shafts.
Right return: front range has tripartite first-floor sash and gable
details similar to south front, 2-bay range set back to right has C20
door and plain overlight beneath lintel, 12-pane sashes to both floors,
twin shafted and stack to right. Rear, facing Albert Road, has
round-headed entrance with fanlight and ashlar arch, 12-pane and unequal
9-pane sashes. All original windows have glazing bars, pointed ashlar
lintels and sills. Interior. Good cantilevered open well
closed-string staircase with drop-on-drop balusters, heavy corniced
handrail, chamfered newel-posts with finials and pendant drops. Moulded
plaster cornices, panelled doors in architraves to main rooms.
Adjoining C20 school buildings are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TA3062408666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings