This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9119 / 50°54'42"N
Longitude: -3.8686 / 3°52'6"W
OS Eastings: 268732
OS Northings: 114158
OS Grid: SS687141
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.QZRP
Mapcode Global: FRA 26SP.NP1
Entry Name: The Globe
Listing Date: 25 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106686
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97286
Location: Chulmleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX18
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Chulmleigh
Built-Up Area: Chulmleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chulmleigh St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CHULMLEIGH THE SQUARE, Chulmleigh
7/109 The Globe
Public house, formerly 2 adjoining houses, the left-hand house incorporating shop.
Circa 1880. Rendered stone rubble. Slate roofs with gable end brick stacks, that to
right with toothed capping.
Plan: Interior entirely altered in C20, but probably originally consisted of two
symmetrical 2 room and central passage plan houses, left-hand house ground floor
formerly used as shop.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Left-hand house has symmetrical 5 window range. All 2 paned
sashes with margin glazing bars. All windows have plain architraves with peaked
lintels. Large shop window incorporating doorway with plain moulded pilasters and
entablature. 3 large panes to shop window, canted at left end to recessed 4 panelled
door, the upper 2 panels glazed. French doors inserted in window opening at right
end and blocked window to right of shop window. House to right has symmetrical 3
window range, all 16 paned sashes 12 paned sashes to ground floor flanking central 16
paned sash inserted in blocked doorway. The right-hand house was the home of the
Literary and Scientific Society in the late C19, revived in 1925 as a men's club
which was closed in 1970.
Listing NGR: SS6873214158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings